Hmmm.... how redundant would it be to own both an MS2000B and a Micron

wheresgrant3

• Members

I'm considering buying a Micron.... even through I own and use an MS 2000B. I sold my A37 controller, unfortunately I lost the bid I had on a Yammie EX7. Now I see that demand must be creeping up, because of the auctions are heading in the $600-700 range (I lost an opportunity to buy at $450). So I'm using the money from my newly liquidated gear and putting it toward a better amp. I still plan on buying an EX7, when I can find one at a suitable price, however I'm looking also at the Alesis Mricron as well. If I buy the Micron and a JBL Eon through AMS I can stretch my payments for 5 months with 0%. I may plan to sell the MS2000 and replace it with an EX7 down the road, but for now I would keep and gig with both.

Personally, even though both are low poly synths, both have their individual sounds. The MS2000 is colder, a little harsh-like, industrial sounding. The Micron has a warmer, fatter fuller sound. Of course, I could live with just one VA... however the size and price is totally right for the Micron. Plus... I am a glutton for cheap gear.:D

• Members

If I had to choose between a micron and an ms2000 I would take the ms2000 because of the interface. The sound is good IMHO on the ms2k. The micron has a tad better sound buyt it also doesnt have the real time interace and the movement in the sounds if you so seek it.

Why not get both and control the micron with the ms2k?

• Members

I think you can get to the point of being redundant once you get past 2 "lead" synths. There is a difference in the basic sound the Micron and the MS2000B. Being that both of the are polyphonic that gives you a lot more flexibility than the mono's of the old days. I find that the MS2000B has a harsher sound than the ION/Micron engine. Thats good for certain kinds of music. It's probably good at industrial sounds. The only drawback of the Micron is that if you tend to program a lot from square one, it would be time consuming on the Micron. The smoother sound of the Micron is well suited for pads, vintage organ, as well as Moog and Arp lead synth sounds. Whether the MS2000B covers those as well as the Micron you can be the judge of yourself. Interfacing the MS2000B with the Micron sounds like an interesting idea.

Mike T.

Archived