Trusting Sellers outside your country?

wheresgrant3

• Members

Have any of you every purchased outside of your country with success? I have a deal to score an EX7 for a very competitive price... on the third email exchanging detail he finally revealed that he is from South America. He has references in the US and he is willing to pay via Pay Pal. My gut is telling me that it is just so much easier to deal with someone in New Jersey or Arizona. I am so shell shocked from scammers outside the country I'm not will to give this guy the benefit of the doubt... despite his willingness to provide references and pay via a secured service.

:eek:

• Members

Nevermind, just read your sig. Paypal is not a secure form of payment unless you use a credit card, even then its your credit card company that compensates for fraud.

I can't see how this is a good deal for you though once you taking shipping into account. Wouldn't be close to $200 at least from South Africa?

• Members

Originally posted by Kirumamoru

Um, I think he said "South America", not "South Africa". As for me, I probably wouldn't buy. For one thing, do you know what voltage and frequency the instrument is set to run on?

Kiru

GRR...LIES!!!!!!! Ok, perhaps my attention to detail has been less than stellar in this thread. :mad::D

• Members

South America.... he didn't specify what country, yet... we've only passed along two emails. He responded to a classified ad I placed looking for an EX7. He did give me a list of several buyers/sellers in the US he has done business with. He also said the with shipping he could deliver the synth for $540 (with some extras). He did talk a bit about some of the extras he was willing to provide, which shows he is familar with the synth (or at least has researched the subject).

• Members

I have bought stuff successfully from Europe (I live in Finland), but always with CoD/PoD. I've paid in advance only once (the seller was a well-known musician and the delivery was too heavy for PoD).

Even with references I'd hesitate to deal with someone hundreds of miles away if I had to pay it all in advance (international legal affairs tend to be very difficult and messy and generally not worth it with a sum as little as this). Besides, you can easily pick the same synth at a comparable price (almost) locally if you spend some effort looking. Be glad you live near civilization, not 10km south from the Arctic Circle like I do :p.

• Members

I try not to deal with anyone outside of the U.S., Canada, and some W. Euro countries. A Canadian once ripped me off on a Pink Floyd video and a South American (forget the country) made false claims about not receiving merchandise. I know it's not the answer you were looking for, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

• Members

Heck No. I'd piss my pants if I got ripped off that way. While I'd be more than willing to drive a couple hundred miles if the deal was very good. Once you get scammed outside your country there isn't much you can do.

I have seen some good deals on Ebay but I wouldn't take the chance to purchase unless I am absolutely sure about the integrity of the person or know them personally.

Archived