Yamaha vs. Korg vs. Roland

Mr. Riceguy

• Members

You can't rate them. Whatever vote you get for whatever company will be horribly biased, as people have their favorite companies, despite their shortcomings, and also their hated companies, despite their merits. They will list the positive aspects and completely leave out the negatives, except maybe touching on only the most widely accepted of beliefs.

• Members

The immortal question. However, if you're going to say one company is "better"... well, Yamaha has a much larger range of products than either of the other two. I dunno if that makes it "better" in some subjective senses of the word, or even if that makes them better at keyboards, but if you're comparing them on acoustic pianos or large-format analog mixers or flutes or monitor speakers, Yamaha definitely wins hands down. :)

Kiru

• Members

Yamaha has probably best electric pianos in P-series. Korg has probably best arranger keyboards and most effects. Roland has probably best prices (Juno-D, Fantom Xa) and most original products (guitar synths, electronic ). New Roland G-70 will probably be the best arranger keyboard. Looks like from these 3 I like Roland.

• Members

I pick Yamaha for their popularization of a certain implementation of FM synthesis. Korg's OASYS was cool too, and their interfaces are usually easy and fun to work with so they come in second. You have to go a pretty long way back in Roland's catalog to find anything exceptional.

• Members

Originally posted by Array

The Alesis Andromeda destroys them all like an American Godzilla would destroy Tokyo.

LOL :D

Actually also I do think that Alesis beats them all. A6 is a monster in its class, ION is the beast with unbeatable price, amps have best price/power relation, amps and mixers have lots of effects (we love effects).

• Members

Taking a look at the last 10-15 years (top products IMHO):

Roland - JV 1080, JD 990, V-Synth

Korg - z1, Wavestation, first integrated workstation, Oasys, Trinity ( which raised the bar for workstations IMHO)

,Kaoss pad

Yamaha - great piano sounds.Motiff ES. Great keybeds.

I would say Korg is doing the more interesting work the last few years, even though they keep repackaging the Triton.

Hopefully more synths like the z1 and v-synth start coming out. I wont hold my breath though.

• Members

Korg and Yamaha are not related at all anymore. There was a while, back in the early 80's, that Yamaha did in fact help Korg out, but the two companies are completely separate now. I do believe that Korg still uses Yamaha's keyboards for their non-Triton-LE semi-weighted synths, but the companies themselves aren't financially connected.

Kiru

• Members

Yamaha: Excellent digital mixers, great sounds in their synths. God awful synth sequencer interfaces.

Korg: Outstanding modeling technology, defines the word "workstation". Doesn't provide state of the art rack versions of their synths, currently milking the "Triton" for all it's worth.

Roland: Creative technology innovators, a household name in synths (not workstations). Release too many products at one time (which I believe, causes penny pinching). Recent synths often have the minimal DSP to meet normal operation (Penny Pinching).

• Members

Originally posted by Array

The Alesis Andromeda destroys them all like an American Godzilla would destroy Tokyo.

Here is a special pic of my family. We eat monsters for breakfast.

As for being on topic: there is no winner. If I were rich I would have all three workstations plus a lot of their vintage gear. You can't compare a Jupiter 8 with a DX7-II, it's apples and oranges. :)

• Members

Yamaha: They make everything under the Sun including beautiful acoustic pianos (the ultimate 'keyboard') A model Japanese (and world-wide) company.

Roland: All they make are musical instruments which without them the dance/DJ scene wouldnt be nearly as fun, plus they make some awesome synths.

Korg: Nice company a few hits & misses but mainly hits lately w the Triton being the most popular keyboard lately.

Now for some companies that dropped the ball for music synths:

Casio, Kawai, Emu, etc... can anyone name aome others?

• Members

Overall I give Yamaha the edge for it's technology, company size and stability, customer support and global reach. Their Motif workstations seem all but unbeatable and the Motifator.com website is the model for instrument web support. Even in the arranger field their Tyros and high end PSR's like the newer PSR3000 are at the top of the bang-for-the-buck league, and most people forget that they make some very nice expensive acoustic and digital pianos in hundreds of configurations. However, they still make big mistakes and will let customers believe they are going to support their latest "golden child" product only to ignore it (ie: 9000 Pro). And their departments seem distant from each other ie: pro synth and home/portable arrangers. As long as whatever you own is basking in their good graces, they are very supportive... but when they decide to move on you're screwed.

Roland seems to be trying to recover from a slump technologically, but their customer support is still legendary for sucking. They only recently put their product owner's manual online as a small example, and I swore off their products in retaliation for their non-support in the past (ie: Roland Studio Pack). I don't trust them and wouldn't base my act on their products.

Korg always seem to be the "me too" kid and they come up with some cute and innovative products. I don't know how their customer support ranks these days but it couldn't be worse than Roland's. That thing about Korg borrowing a lot of money from Yamaha to stay alive always bothered me - if they rely on Yamaha when all else fails then it's a clue...

• Members

"Overall I give Yamaha the edge for it's technology, company size and stability, customer support and global reach. Their Motif workstations seem all but unbeatable and the Motifator.com "

How is Korg the "me too" kid when Yahama's best synth product is the Motif ES, whici is basically an improved Korg M1?

I think Korg is lame for rehashing so many of it's products, but they are clearly innovators in some areas. Roland used to be.

Archived