Does anyone Know Whats NEXT for Keyboards?

VTK

• Members
Originally posted by VTK

I'm simply looking into what may be the next thing.

IMO: short run: cheaper and better versions of computer/keyboard hybrids like the NeKo. Perhaps Apple will put out an "iKey" with Logic Express onboard.

Long run: physical modeling chips imbedded in warm, resonant acoustic instruments of any kind, wirelessly connected to any sound system.

Originally posted by VTK

are there no ways to find out what the R&D people are doing over at Korg/Roland and Yamaha?

No, they have always been very secretive. But hardware, whether a module or a keyboard, will never die because it's a good way to lock up proprietary software and also is more convenient for performance. :)

• Members

I think in the future there will be more features. But what people will also want is a lot more variety. With a PC, these days, you can accumulate all sorts of synthesis methods from various developers all housed in one convenient machine. SO, what I'd want is something like the Oasys PCI or Pulsar with some sort of interface akin to the Nord Modular g2's which uses Firewire and VST protocols to do the "Total Integration" thing. This product would hopefully have, aside from sampling and sample playback, some sort orf analog modelling preferably in multiple flavors, FM synthesis, Additive Synthesis, some sort of modular, and a lot of stunning effects. This synth would appeal to us because the package would integrate superbly with the VST studio as well as functioning in live contexts as any hardware synth does, and being made by a large and soulless music instrument corporation it'd have unique expertise that only oodles of money can buy, in short it'd sound better than anything else and as a whole transcend any one of its parts. Personally I'd say the Korg Oasys PCI if it used VST technology and had a lot more DSP power and came in a hardware package and had a more user friendly version of synthkit plus a next generation sampling engine would be very nice.

Archived