New to Keyboards/Synths - what to look for when buying?

• Members

hey there!

I'm a guitarist who is looking to get into synth/keyboards since I've always been interested in those sounds in the music I listen to. I've tried to get the same effect from guitar effects, but it just isn't doing it for me anymore.

I wanted to get a relatively inexpensive keyboard for xmas. I tried the Casio wk3000 in the store and I had a ton of fun with it! The only problem with this is that I don't have a lot of experience with buying or playing the keyboard. I would love to get Radiohead type sounds out of it, but would also love to have a pretty good grand piano sound for simple stuff.

My question for you is

1) is the Casio wk3000 a good beginner keyboard for the price? If yes, why and if no, why not and what else is available for around the same price.

2) this is a general question, but since I have no clue what exactly to look for in a keyboard, I thought maybe you guys (and gals) could give me some basics to check out while in the store. I want to get a pretty good board that isn't some kiddy board. Something that I could take to a show and have it perform well. This includes expensive boards too (since I may want to upgrade in the future).

Anything you have for me would help a great bit! :)

• Members

Here are some good tips I used when looking for a synth.

1) Always try the synth out yourself. Some sales employees know what their talking about, some tell you the wrong things. So try it out for yourself.

2) Make sure it has the right action and feel for you. There is nothing worse than a horrible feeling action.

3) Make sure it has the sounds you want, don't just go with the specifications.

Good Luck,

Chris

• Members

FearMeWithMyLP:

It sounds like you're looking at a KB arranger instrument. Basically somthing that has drums, and a lot of different instrumennt sounds that you can put together into songs. If you're a semi pro or pro player, I don't know if I'd want to bring a Casio anywhere to perform live. Traditionally, they are consumer instruments. The thing you have to be concerned about is where would you get it serviced if there's a problem with it? Where would you get tech support if you need help? I know that Casio is starting to make progress in that area, and I don't know the particulars about what they have achieved in the professional KB world in terms of features/sound/price and service and support after the sale.

If you're sure you want an arranger KB instead of a workstation class board (which can get to be expensive) check into the Yamaha PSR series. You'd be a lot safer with Yamaha, and they make some really great sounding arranger KB for a reasonable price.

But you're the one that has to play it and pay for it, so try it out and ask a lot of how to questions of the KB salesman. It helps if you know what you want to get out of it before you buy something and then find out it can't do it.

Mike T.

Archived