Just asked to go on big tour: Ha. Need a live synth...

joestanman

• Members

Jeez... some friends of mine are in a band that is going to go on tour in late janurary for like 2 months. They have been talking about adding a synth player for a while now, just to add effects and thicken the sounds up, as well as add quirky melodies to things. So, they asked me to do it. Problem is: Im a drummer. So, yeah... I need to get a synth. Something fairly intuitive, and not super expensive... Old school, new school... whatever... I considered getting two... Any ideas? My friends keep talking about the ION. Need help!

• Members

Originally posted by joestanman

Problem is: Im a drummer. So, yeah... I need to get a synth.

and learning how to play synth is pretty important too. it looks easy but it's not. especially for busy drummers who think the more notes the merrier. but I'll trust you know what you're doing and assume you're not a wanker for the sake of this thread ;) .

so,

do you know what your price range is, joe?

and how about any particular sounds or songs you've heard that you think might be comparable to what you're looking for?

what is the music like? are there any mp3s we can hear to chime in what we would do or recommend?

good luck!

oh yeah- and just because all guitar players and drummers seem hellbent on buying canned roland gear doesn't mean you have to as well. but don't let that deter you- roland has some fine products as several forumites will soon point out. :D

/johnny

:)

• Members

Originally posted by eatsdrummachine

and learning how to play synth is pretty important too. it looks easy but it's not. especially for busy drummers who think the more notes the merrier. but I'll trust you know what you're doing and assume you're not a wanker for the sake of this thread
;)

so,

do you know what your price range is, joe?

and how about any particular sounds or songs you've heard that you think might be comparable to what you're looking for?

what is the music like? are there any mp3s we can hear to chime in what we would do or recommend?

good luck!

oh yeah- and just because all guitar players and drummers seem hellbent on buying canned roland gear doesn't mean you have to as well. but don't let that deter you- roland has some fine products as several forumites will soon point out.
:D

/johnny

:)

ha... yeah i know what you mean. I do know basic piano. I know synth isnt easy at all... but i need to figure something out ASAP. The sound is just quirky indie rock... along the lines of Phantom Planet, Secret Machines, Daryl, Hot Hot Heat...

Just cool analogy lead sounds, something fun. I dont need super mega programming midi capabilities.... I dont want a micro korg, I had one and didnt like it.

• Members

I'd recommend a MS-2000, if you can find one used on Ebay, it should be fairly cheap, and its quite versatile.. runs along the same lines as a Ion.. different system.. different company..

The Killers' keyboardist uses an MS-2000, and for the most part, I noticed listening to the cd only twice, that alot of the settings he used are the default settings..

I notice because I have one.. its quite fun..

• Members

Go for the ION - cheap, versatile and sounds very good. Emulates vintage analog synths surprisingly well and does all the usual VA stuff too.

Another good option would be Nord Lead 2X, but it'd need FX (guitar pedals are good. as is any multi FX - you can get a passable MFX box for 100$ or so) and has harsher, more cutting sound than ION.

Archived