Anyone else like The Killers?

sevensinner

• Members

I was trying to get people into The Killers months ago and no one seemed interested. Now that people have heard them, they see what the "hot fuss" is about. :)

The cool thing is that they're soo young that they have a lot of potential. That is an absolutely brilliant debut album for a group of 22 year olds IMHO.

I saw them live a month ago and they're awesome live as well.

I don't know if he uses the MicroKorg or the Nord for his strings, but they sound soo lush and amazing!

The songs that get played on the radio (Mr. Brightside and Somebody Told Me) aren't even close to the best songs on that album. The first song, track #9 and "All The Things I've Done" are just fantastic. It's good to see a nice hybrid of indie rock and synth pop these days. :)

Another band who is absolutely amazing is Keane. They sound sort of like Coldplay, but they are still unique and considering that they only have a drummer, keys player and vocalist.. they make a HUGE SOUND for just a two peice instrumental section!! The keys/synth player plays a CP-80 and some other synths that I couldn't see.

Go pick up their album "Hopes and Fears".. you will NOT regret it. The vocalist is AMAZING!!

• Members

Originally posted by ExplodingBoy

Why do you think the mastering job is bad?

One day I was listening to a buch of music on my DAW, I started playing the Killers and it was really causing some serious ear fatigue, even at low volumes it was overbearing. I ripped some waves and analyzed them in Wavelab. There are some tracks on there with -7db RMS values! They squashed it way too much and it sounds like {censored}e, but I guess all pop music is strangled to death nowadays. I just have never seen one that squished.

• Members

Boom:

So agreed...it is a damn pity that stuff is so ruined by the current "squash" demands placed upon engineers by record companies who demand "ever-louder" releases. :mad:

Especially given that for broadcast, stuff is usually comp/limited anyway! Leave the release CD alone, damnit! :mad:

And it isn't just the RMS of ~6-9dB on so many late-90s-to-current releases...it is also the peaks, that when reconstructed, greatly exceed 0dB, causing the D/A converters in all consumer-available playback systems to clip.

Between the two, you end up with dynamics that are fatiguing to the ear, and high-end that rips those ears off.

cheers,

aeon

• Members

I see what you're saying now about the mastering.

I also think that they mixed the bass WAAAAAY too loud on U2's new album. When I listen to Vertigo in my car, the bass annoys the hell out of me even when I turn it all the way down. It's not a clear bass. I wouldn't mind loud bass if it didn't interfere with the rest of the mix, but it almost drowns out the rest of the band and has this echo chamber effect that just annoys me.

Archived