Yamaha TX802: Yay Or Nay?

• Members

I've had this synth for a few months now, and as far as I know, it's one of the most feature rich FM synth modules on the market. I don't mind the programming really, however I just don't find myself getting into yet. I only use it in songs once in a while, and because of that, I decided to ditch it alongwith my TG55 and Nord Micro Modular in favore of a Korg Oasys PCI and Nord Modular Keyboard.

The only thing I'm concerned with is the multitimberality/polyphony of my setup is greatly reduced from about 45 notes (sans drums) and 35 patches to about 50 and change and 22 patches (sans drums).

I guess I just worry I'd find it restricting, even though I hardly EVERY max out poly or timbers. I do run a lot of sounds at once though, but I suppose i can still bounce to disk and multi-track that way.

Anyway, I guess I'm just looking for feedback. Do you think that's enough sound power? would another sound module really be needed?

• Members

have you tried many patches for the machine? There's a DX convertor for it. That means there are something like 100,000 patches for it for free on the net.

Perhaps a good idea is to buy one of those cheap ADAT convertors from Berhinger (did i just recommend behringer?) and hook all 8 outpus from the 802 into it. At that point just hope your soundcard has ADAT in.

If you got the Oasys, it would, and the FX would sound great on the 802's outputs.

Perhaps you might want to do what I did. I traded my TX-802 for a SY-77. The rack is the TG-77, but it has not much in common with the 55. Its Yamaha's most advanced and best sounding FM ever (sorry FS1r fans!)

• Members

Originally posted by TVsmile

They are all worth considering, thats for sure. The extra features of the sy99 though and considering their low prices i would not even bother looking for the sy77 or tg77 unless the price is much lower than the sy99 average used values. For

• Members

Well just so you guys know these arnt my only peices of equipment.

I have an MPC2000xl (32mb), Nord Modular Keys, ESQ1, MS2000, Oasys PCI and Alpha Juno, all running through a MOTU 828mk2 (it had ADAT in, oasys will be using that) and sometimes a Mackie 1604 VLZ pro.

The TG55 was basically a "filler" synth module, which i do use quite a bit in my songs, but I guess I feel with the added synth power I won't need to turn to it nearly as much.

Also, I would love to keep my Tx802, just havign it's potential around is great and I'm sure one day I would get into it, but, I can do enough FM-like stuff with my Nord Modular, and I hear there are FM patches for the Oasys, and I really need the money.

I can't really get into using soft-synths, Mostly because there are few out there for me as I use a Digital Performer based system. I do have a spare PC around, but that will be my Oasys host, as well as my sample library/editor for my MPC, and Maybe my Modular editor as well.

I have used the FM7 and it's great, I just don't have the money for it either. And as far as free plug-in's, I haven't found much.

• Members

i love my TX802. neither SY77 or FS1R sound exactly like it - they have to much finesse. TX802 is FM with gloves off - gritty 16bit DAC. i like how it cuts in the mix - so different from other instruments, there's no worry it'll be buried in. brighter than original 12-bit DX7.

cant comment on compatibility wtih the rest of your system -

but since they are going for $150-200 , i think its incredible value to have 8outs, 8parts and 16 voices of original DX engine in a 2U rack at that price.

• Members

TX802 is a good FM module - it's multi-timbral with alternative-assign function that enables unique timbre change.

The clean sound from 16bit DAC was impressive, especially when it was out.

I personally feel comfortable with DX7's 12bit DAC, though. And I like the 4-OP FB-01 even better (some say it's 10bit).

Regarding AFM, I'm not very sure which sounds better, SY99/SY77/TG77. My impression is that the three synths all sound different to some extent, though I haven't compared them directly.

• Members

Originally posted by Sealed

Regarding AFM, I'm not very sure which sounds better, SY99/SY77/TG77. My impression is that the three synths all sound different to some extent, though I haven't compared them directly.

With a lineup like that, you cant go wrong.

I liked the sound from my TX-802 better than the DX-7. But the absolute coolest thing was the little algorhithm chart you could pull out from the unit. It still boggles my mind that Yamaha would include a paper instruction manual in the physical design of a synth!:eek:

And, just to be clear, I dont intend to diss the FS1r... It obviously belongs up there as one of Yamaha's four best FM synths- SY-77/99,TG-77, FS1r.

Yamaha's best synths PERIOD in my eyes.

Archived