i want to make my tone darker

• Members

You're a brass player, right? If so the two simple answers are more open air and a heavy wall mouthpiece. The more your throat and mouth are open (think cavernous like a cave) the more it will help to soften your sound. Heavy wall mp's will also help, though I cannot give you the scientific reasonings as to why.

Some horns are made to be bright and some are made to have a darker sound. It all depends on how it was made and what it is made out of, as well as the outer plating.

• Members

Also, for brass, sometimes a mouthpiece with a deeper cup will help, too.

Tell us what instrument and we can be more specific.

Basically, though, whether brass or woodwind, to make a change in sound starts with changing your tonal concept. Then hardware can change, beginning with the mouthpiece and then eventually, if needed, the horn.

Try this: find someone whose sound you want to emulate and right after listening to them, try to reproduce their sound, manipulating your embouchure however you need to begin to achieve that sound.

Listen. Repeat.

This will help you start to think and act differently with regard to how you produce sound from your instrument.

Good luck!

• Members

Also, for brass, sometimes a mouthpiece with a deeper cup will help, too.

Tell us what instrument and we can be more specific.

Basically, though, whether brass or woodwind, to make a change in sound starts with changing your tonal concept. Then hardware can change, beginning with the mouthpiece and then eventually, if needed, the horn.

Try this: find someone whose sound you want to emulate and right after listening to them, try to reproduce their sound, manipulating your embouchure however you need to begin to achieve that sound.

Listen. Repeat.

This will help you start to think and act differently with regard to how you produce sound from your instrument.

Good luck!

i currently play a bach 6 1/2 AL mouthpiece through an Eastman ETB432G

• Members

Listen. Repeat.

Excellent advice. Doing this, you may teach yourself to play with a "subtone" (in quotes because I believe that term really only applies to woodwinds) and you'll definitely end up playing softer, both very good things. Just don't get into the habit of puffing out your cheeks (which will also give you a darker sound, but it's a bad habit that will affect your other playing as well)

Archived