How to use a synth as a midi controller?

wheresgrant3

• Members

I apologize in advance. I'm a self confessed Midiot! I am trying to use my XP30 as a midi controller for my soft synths and I am having no luck. Unfortunately I don't have a manual either.

I recently sold my Roland A37 controller b/c I didn't have the room (and for some extra cash). I'd like to use my XP30 as a controller for Atmosphere, and Garritan GPO... how would I go about setting this up?

I have an M-Audio USB Midiman that I used with the A37. I am using Sonar 3 Pro Ed to host and record my DXI and VST soft Synths. The MidiMan is indicating that it has a solid USB connection, and the Midi In light is flashing. However I can't seem to send data via Midi Out .

Are there settings that I need to configure to enable my XP30 to send and receive midi data or do I need to load drivers to make this work?

• Members

If your MIDI interface was working with the A37, it should work with the XP30 too. Were you using the A37 to control these same soft synths, or are you trying something new?

Since you're showing MIDI data going in, you should just have to make sure you're setting SONAR to receive MIDI on the same channel the XP30 is sending on.

• Members

Originally posted by roblogic

If your MIDI interface was working with the A37, it should work with the XP30 too. Were you using the A37 to control these same soft synths, or are you trying something new?

Since you're showing MIDI data going in, you should just have to make sure you're setting SONAR to receive MIDI on the same channel the XP30 is sending on.

Well that's my problem... I have no clue what channel the XP30 sends on. I am very ignorant when it comes to aligning midi equipment. The A37 would just magically sync up. I imagine with the XP30 I have to choose which channel I want to send the data thru, right?

I believe the SYSTEM control button gives me access to assigning MIDI Channels, however I haven't been able to find the function. It's clear by the LED on my MIDI man that data is not being sent by the XP30 (the light remains off).

• Members

I don't know anything specific about the XP30, but there are two things you've got to make sure of:

1. The keyboard is set to send MIDI. There are usually several choices for how a synth handles sending midi; local only, external only, or both. I don't think there's any standard terminology for this, so consult your manual.

2. The keyboard is sending on the channel that you're trying to receive on. Again, consult your manual for how to do this.

Archived