newbie info? little help...

gearnut

• Members

So I'm a guitar player who played a lot of piano when i was younger. Now i'm looking to get into some synth and keys stuff, mostly as textures, noises and such. I have a roland vk7, which rules for organs and stuff. But I'm looking for a smaller setup for shows with more versatility. I have the m-audio keyboard that i use with garageband on my mac, but what's better for live use? A laptop setup or a keyboard and a module (that's the rack piece, right?) What apps are the best "hosting" apps for virtual instruments in a live setup? I won't be looping or anything like that. I almost bit on an alesis micron, but I'd also something that does real instrument sounds (piano, etc) as well.

Is there a good source for newbie info? Sorry for the moron questions...

• Members

Originally posted by gearnut

I have the m-audio keyboard that i use with garageband on my mac, but what's better for live use? A laptop setup or a keyboard and a module (that's the rack piece, right?)

The laptop's more versatile, the rack's more dependable. Assuming that you don't use your laptop for internet stuff and you've got some sort of backup at hand (even a CD player with a prerecorded set suffices) the laptop's just perfect. There's also no reaon

What apps are the best "hosting" apps for virtual instruments in a live setup?

Steinberg's V-Stack is an idea, if all you want to do is have a bunch of virtual instruments at your fingertips but no sequencing.

I won't be looping or anything like that. I almost bit on an alesis micron, but I'd also something that does real instrument sounds (piano, etc) as well.

A combination of the Micron with a Roland JV-1080 or something like that would give you real + fake ;) sounds.

Is there a good source for newbie info? Sorry for the moron questions...

Asking here doesn't hurt, and rest assured - they aren't moronic questions.

• Members

Thx for the help! V-stack looks great, exactly what I'm looking for, if I got the laptop route. I wonder in the end, after i buy all the vst instruments, if it might be cheaper to get a hardware module.

Another newbie question (sorry)...if I get a micron, I can use that to control a hardware module as well (or v-stack), right?

Thanks for getting me on the right track. :)

Archived