Proteus X worth it or go softsampler?

kn364

• Members

I'm looking for a cheap way to add some new sounds/rompler stuff to my arsenal.

Here's my setup:

2.66Ghz P4, 1GB ram Dell PC

Korg 707

Korg Karma

Yamaha Tx81z

Yamaha An200

Red Sound Darkstar

Cubase SE with a bunch of VA softsynths.

I love Karma and the sound it has, but I've been using less and less of it ever since going to cubase and using a bunch of softsynths and the an200 to creat most of my tracks. The problem I have is that the KARMA only has limited number of effects and I seem to use them all up for a few sounds.

So, I was thinking to add some "rompler" type sounds to complement my KARMA I was looking at the Proteus X or maybe Kompakt (using academic discount).

Which would be a better choice in the opinion of the board? I've been leaning towards the Emu, but its hard to really gauge how it is since I can't seem to find reviews. And, the Proteus X seems to be able to load other sample types too which is sweet.

• Members

Id like to get Kontakt 2...but, its a little expensive. Maybe buy Kontakt 1 and get the free upgrade to Kontakt 2?

I could get the "educational trial edition" of Kontakt 2 when thats released, but the problem is that with softsamplers...theres always updates that make it better.

The thing im not too huge into sound design...I'm lean more towards the side of tweaking. I find a preset that si the ballpark of what I want and I edit from there.

• Members

You might also consider Reason. It ships with the wonderful Reload software which allows you to convert Akai libraries directly into NN-XT ReFills. The NN-XT is pretty darn capable soft sampler. Plus you'll get all the other goodies that come with Reason. I spent countless hours trying to load Akai into Logic and it never did it right. Along comes little old Reason and it works perfectly every time. Good stuff.

• Members

i don't have one, but i like the idea of the proteus x. hard dsp fx, the emu filters and modulations, and i think there will be a LOT of sounds becoming available for it.

not too keen on the pci aspect and the fact that i alreay have a good card, tho.

• Members

Originally posted by mildbill

i don't have one, but i like the idea of the proteus x. hard dsp fx, the emu filters and modulations, and i think there will be a LOT of sounds becoming available for it.

not too keen on the pci aspect and the fact that i alreay have a good card, tho.

Well, I don't really mind the PCI card as I'll just patch it through my mixer as treat it as a "hardware" synth.

The sounds I'm looking for? Just a variety of rompler sounds to complement my KARMA (the one thing I dont need are brass and some EPs).

Archived