How can I make my own synth- PARTS? WHERE?

NewbieMike

• Members

I dunno abour the ad (unless... never mind, if so I'm not fonna fall for it)

But the point is, if you think building a modular synth is like putting together a guitar, then you are better off with an all-in-one, ready to play synth. Perhaps a trip to your local library for a book on the priciples of subtractive synthesis would help you to understand what modules you would even want to order/build in order to accomplish what you want.

Amos

• Members

Well, I am in the process of building a synth myself, and even with an Electrical Engineer father helping me and being an electronics/software hobbiest myself(in high school), the amount and complexity of information out there is pretty overwhelming.

If you aren't at least somewhat skilled at this, and if you dont own some basic equiptment (o-scope, iron, tons of random salvaged electronics), give it up.

If you think you can take it, look at http://www.musicfromouterspace.com/analogsynth/SOUNDLABMINISYNTH/soundlab.html . This is the basis of my project, and you can get a pcb for it. And thats the easy part.

You also need a cv controller or a midi to cv convertor. My midi to cv convertor (where i'm at right now) uses pretty advanced microcontroller stuff, so unless you have programming knowledge, thats out too.

• Members

Originally posted by milesdf

Well, I am in the process of building a synth myself, and even with an Electrical Engineer father helping me and being an electronics/software hobbiest myself(in high school), the amount and complexity of information out there is pretty overwhelming.

If you aren't at least somewhat skilled at this, and if you dont own some basic equiptment (o-scope, iron, tons of random salvaged electronics), give it up.

If you think you can take it, look at
http://www.musicfromouterspace.com/analogsynth/SOUNDLABMINISYNTH/soundlab.html
. This is the basis of my project, and you can get a pcb for it. And thats the easy part.

You also need a cv controller or a midi to cv convertor. My midi to cv convertor (where i'm at right now) uses pretty advanced microcontroller stuff, so unless you have programming knowledge, thats out too.

wow! :eek:

Archived