Do you hate gear hogs?

ApolloBoy

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I personally don't care what that guy does with his own money - it's his money and he can do what he wants with it. If buying those vintage synths makes him happier then and he feels more creative and feels that he writes better music with them , then more power to him.

However, the "no computers were used" is sort of a dig at softsynths, and the fact that he doesn't use anything made after 1990, is sort of the "vintage is better" mentality that many guitarists seem to have - except applied here to synths. Ie, the constant rejection of new technology (ie the "solid state sucks" "digital modelling sucks" "analog modelling sucks" "distortion pedals in general suck" etc) is sometimes unjustified.

Then again, maybe he just likes the old stuff. Nothing wrong with that folks.

As for his music, it's not bad. I actually kinda like it. Hey he sings in tune, the recordings are decent, it's not really anything groundbreaking or special in my opinion. But then again, that's probably not what his aim is, he's probalby just writing music that he likes, for himself, just like you and me, and many others here do and wants to share it with the world.

• Members

Originally posted by ApolloBoy
I just can't stand people who go out and buy like 3 or 4 synths of the same kind and end up selling them all, and those who sell lots of great stuff in favor of something more limited.

Every second you waste neurons firing about that is one second less to make music ;).

• Members

Gear whoring doesn't bother me. In fact, it gets to me when people make blanket statements about workflow and gear whoring versus making music. Does someone not have the right to be a collector first and make music on the side? Isn't it ok to respect the engineering side of gear and sit twittling knobs for hours on end doing nothing particularly useful?

With synthesizers the ultimate goal is not always music, but experimenting, learning, and just having a good time. :D

• Members

Originally posted by urbanscallywag

With synthesizers the ultimate goal is not always music, but experimenting, learning, and just having a good time.
:D

*Quickly buckles up and blasts off on Spaceship Waldorf*

*SWOOOOOOSHHHHHHH*

:D

• Members

Originally posted by urbanscallywag

...Isn't it ok to respect the engineering side of gear and sit twittling knobs for hours on end doing nothing particularly useful?

haha, thats pretty much what I do. I dont really make music, I just sit there making patches that I find neato, spiffy or 23 skidoo.

in a period of 30 minutes I can go through 10+ patches on my evolver :o

• Members

Originally posted by bobsonjazoe

oh come on. look at her picture! you cant say that mid 40's lady is all about the music!

Frankly, you can say anything, but if it's informed or based in reality remains to be doubted. Would your judgement be the same if you couldn't see the owner of the gear, and why not?

Archived