Exactly how bad are Micron's piano presets?

skier4467

• Members

so *that's* why the piano preset on my Minimoog sounds so terrible! Sheesh, you lay out large cash for an analog synth, you'd think they could give you at least 16MB of piano samples on it! :mad:

sorry, I kid. analog subtractive synthesis (virtual or not) can certainly give you some good electric piano/organ noises, but it's not what you want for complex acoustic instrument emulation. It's like comparing apples and sea cucumbers...

• Members

Exactly how bad are Micron's piano presets?

it's like asking: "how bad is SUV for driving underwater?"

VA and RA synths were not meant to do piano. at all. they do

reasonable fake rhodes, clavinet and wurlie - but that's not

their duty either.

they do analog subtractive synth sounds, and all variants of that.

• Members

Originally posted by suitandtieguy

so how's the vocoder?

People will tell you it sucks. It doesn't. It just takes a bit of work to make it sound awesome. The real trick is to feed in a fair bit of pink noise, and to always use gritty waves. That's part of the problem with the vocoder presets, they all use these really weak kneed phasey stringy sounds, smooth sounds just won't vocode well for the most part, to get real understandable words you have to use dirty carriers.

Conclusion: it's success as a vocoder is directly proportionate to how much time you spend making patches from scratch.

• Members

I knew before asking that they are 2 different beasts (Rompler and Analog Synth). But I saw on the Micron presets that there are at least 2 piano patches so I wondered how those 2 were compared to Casio.

Maybe it is worth using the Casio for Piano, Organ, Clav sounds and the Micron for Synth sounds.

• Members

Originally posted by SushiFugu

That's part of the problem with the vocoder presets, they all use these really weak kneed phasey stringy sounds, smooth sounds just won't vocode well for the most part, to get real understandable words you have to use dirty carriers.

right now i key my Warpfactory from an Alpha Juno set to an octave of sawtooth waves with the filter opened all the way up and 0/0/100/0 envelopes for the VCA.

i see no reason to use any other patch for vocoding.

under these circumstances do you think the vocoder would sound good?

Archived