OT. Building webpage/site? A few questions.

lofi 8 bit

• Members

Been watching this forum for quite some time, first time poster so be gentle. I suppose my questions should be asked in a computer forum, you guys are often very helpful though so i'll use this opportunity to say hello and also ask several web related questions. I also own several synths so I feel more at home here.

Any of you use the free web space that is offered when you subscribe to cable or telecom?

I would like to make a simple web page using the 30mb that comes with the package I have. Trouble is, I swear they deliberately set out to make things as difficult as possible so we'll just give up, which then saves them money on hosting!

After many frustrating hours I finally had a simple web page up and running, but it was so bland and cheap looking i was just to embarrassed to show anyone. What made things worse was blueyonders sloppy and confusing layout and information, it's a complete mess. No mention anywhere on how to use my webspace to show any music mp3s I may make.

Here are my questions, but first here is the link to the blueyonder page where they claim that even a beginner can easily build a website, see what you think? http://www.blueyonder.co.uk/blueyonder/getContent.jspx?page=services_webspace2

Am I expected to build most of my website using specialized software like dreamweaver and flash ( which I do own ) and then upload them to any web space, or am I missing something here? How do I get my music onto my website? Specialized tools?

Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated. Infact, if anyone has the time to take a look at that blueyonder link and tell me if the webspace they offer does infact allow me to use it for more than just pictures and simple text, that would be very helpful to me.

• Members

not sure how your service works but i know some freebie homepage sites provided by and ISP do not allow things like MP3s to even be up there. but anyway if you do want to put an MP3 on your site it is as simple as this:

MY SONG

or if you have the MP3 sitting in the same directory as the HTML page then it would just be:

MY SONG

you should be able to upload any media (pics, music, etc) the same way you upload your HTML pages.

• Members

Originally posted by tjwett

not sure how your service works but i know some freebie homepage sites provided by and ISP do not allow things like MP3s to even be up there. but anyway if you do want to put an MP3 on your site it is as simple as this:

MY SONG

or if you have the MP3 sitting in the same directory as the HTML page then it would just be:

MY SONG

you should be able to upload any media (pics, music, etc) the same way you upload your HTML pages.

I'll try that, thanks.

I really need to be talked to like a five year old when it comes to this stuff, you have permission :D

I still do not know if the web space blueyonder have given me needs to be built with my own software or I have to use the ones they provide? Maybe someone here will know, maybe someone here uses their webspace?

I managed to build a simple page and it is up on the net, but the way you have to navigate pages and pages to find any useful information or find help is almost unworkable, so buggy and baddly designed. If blueyonder are a professional internet based company i'll eat my hat.

• Members

The solution's simple - Don't let anyone else or an application handle the building for you, teach yourself. It's better to have a clean coded simple page than a piece of Frontpage junk.

www.w3schools.com is something I've used during my apprenticeship - a very good resource with practical examples.

• Members

Originally posted by Yoozer

The solution's simple - Don't let anyone else or an application handle the building for you, teach yourself. It's better to have a clean coded simple page than a piece of Frontpage junk.

www.w3schools.com
is something I've used during my apprenticeship - a very good resource with practical examples.

Now this looks interesting, thank you.

Archived