it can happen to you

mjb1967@hotmail

• Members

Ive only had this happen to me once, by some retard. I shipped it out and like 3 days later, he did the thing on paypal to get his money back. I put the tracking number in the paypal case yet because of his paranoia (and non-understanding that shipping across border takes more than 3 days), my account was locked for 2 weeks because of him. Keep in mind this was a sale, not a trade.

I cant say I would trust doing a trade with anyone, for reasons as you mentioned. Usually Im not interested in trades anyways, but it just seems like so much can go wrong when you are using the "honour system" with 16 year olds.

• Members

As a 17 year old myself, it's definitely a bit scary doing transactions over the internet, whether trades or outright sales. I've bought a few guitars and an amp online, but have been extremely careful each time. My Dad really ensures that everything both parties does is free of suspicion, and that helps the deal move smoothly. I know that most people can be trusted here, but you can never be too safe. A guitar is a large investment to lose, especially at such a young age. I've been lucky enough to never be involved in a bad transaction, but I almost ended up buying that ENGL Savage that was a fraud on here a little while ago, if I remember correctly. I feel it's always better safe than sorry in any of these situations.

I salute you for involving your father, and I think that any credible person on the site here would feel better knowing that everyone's "onboard" so to speak.

• Members

I'm only 15 and I've had some great transactions, I'm immature in person, but you have to be professional when it comes to business.

I agree bro, and as long as the person that is paying the mortage where you live is willing to sign off on it, you should be allowed to show off that professionalism

• Members

nick.... wow... that was the stupidest comment i have ever heard. we aren't using the honor system with just the underage. the honour system is used with whoever you trade with regardless of age. i have been ripped off by other 17 year olds... and 50 year olds... so.. its all about integrity. has nothing to do with age.

• Members

nick.... wow... that was the stupidest comment i have ever heard. we aren't using the honor system with just the underage. the honour system is used with whoever you trade with regardless of age. i have been ripped off by other 17 year olds... and 50 year olds... so.. its all about integrity. has nothing to do with age.

I have to agree- we are pretty much trusting the person we are making the deal with-I think there is something that just makes us want to feel like we can trust a fellow musician, and fortunately, much of the time it turns out to be true-I always do a search of the person and make sure I can verify their info before I send anything though- I have traded with with someone in the 15/16 age range and it takes maybe a little more explaining about shipping and such and in this case convincing his dad I really did own the guitar and didn't steal it-Im not sure what that was about but I found it kind of amusing- it turned out great, he got an SG he really wanted that I used the guitar he traded me as a trade in on a custom built Strat for the same $ I was going to get for the SG-I don't mind taking a little extra time to work out a deal with a decent "kid" but I do make sure I do my homework on any trade.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Hi all,

I can clearly see what your saying Mike, 16 is young but glad things worked out for you. I think a good rule of thumb is have both parties decide on a figured window of time. This will allow for any issues that surface to be worked out during the process period. Also, if anyone needs a box to ship a guitar, just go to a Sam Ash or Guitar Center. They are always throwing them out.

Now when I sell or trade I ask for references. I use discretion when dealing with a person who just joined the board with no selling or trading history. I find this works well.

I have a guitar being built by a good guy here and I don't anticipate any problems.

It's tough to establish yourself though if you continually need to provide references. Does anyone have any solution to this other than someone taking a chance? Is there a way to safely complete a sale/trade without needing to fully trust someone (send half $, ship gear, send final half $ after gear received)? This though still involves a great deal of trust. As it has been stated in this thread before, a phone conversation may be the easiest way to complete a deal.

• Members

It's tough to establish yourself though if you continually need to provide references. Does anyone have any solution to this other than someone taking a chance? Is there a way to safely complete a sale/trade without needing to fully trust someone (send half $, ship gear, send final half $ after gear received)? This though still involves a great deal of trust. As it has been stated in this thread before, a phone conversation may be the easiest way to complete a deal.

i won't do anything without a phone call anymore...and i am always willing to pay for the call...but yes, trust is still the main issue. I only use paypal, its worth the piece of mind to me... unless the other party will wait for the funds to clear otherwise... and to tell you the truth, when i sell something, i like to mail it off right away...i buy and sell a bit and i know what it's like to wait for your {censored} to arrive..The whole point of this (old) thread was that the kids on here need to be up front about their age...and their parents need to monitor their dealings if they are concerned about it..

• Members

I sold an amp to a guy from Canada, told him before the sale that the speaker was blown. Hooked the amp up through the ext. speaker output to my other amp and demo'd it for him over the phone. He decided to buy because he liked the tone and the fact that it was a vintage amp with really sweet reverb. He overpaid me for shipping so I paypal'd him a refund of his excess and had it insured for $150.00 more than the sale price. I sent the amp to a relative of his in the states, he didn't pick it up for a month. THEN he claims I was fraudulent and lied about the amp, said I didn't tell him the speaker was blown. Proceeded to send me about 12 emails threatening my family and to destroy my property because he travels to my area sometimes for studio work. Watch out for crazy people on here, and make sure you save a copy of all correspondence you have to reference later!!!!

• Members

This is a big reason why I almost always sell and trade locally. Yeah, it limits what I can get, but I'd rather be able to meet the person face to face and and test out the items. For example, I just traded into this Peavey Classic 50 that I'm now trying to trade, in some way, for a Fender DRRI. I traded a jazz guy my Crate Palomino V32. We both cranked the amps, tried them out, and walked away happy. I've recently did the same thing with my guitar. And, the guy I met to trade runs a both at the local guitar shows and is an incredibly nice guy.

Meeting face to face removes the question out of the equation. Now, granted, I had one jerk on Craigslist try to say that what I sold them was broken when I know for a fact it wasn't. I didn't offer him a refund because of his bad attitude. But, for the most part, I'm like the person who said they'd offer a trade back if the person isn't happy with an item.

I do sell pedals on message boards (mostly on other boards) and check in with the recipient when I see something's been delivered to a) make sure they got it and b) make sure they are happy with it.

• Members

Good info in this thread...

Now take me for example.. I don't use and/or spend time on forums, but beings that some friends managed to talk me into playing live shows again, after being out of the whole thing for 6 years. I'm in a position where I need to find the equipement I need. Example being, I just bought a Marshall JCM 2000 dsl100 half stack that a guy had posted on ebay that didn't live to far from me(within an hours drive)... Anyways.. he wanted to have me send payment and he'd still ship it.. I was like "not no but hell no..if I can't come and meet you face to face and check it out first then I guess you can sell it to someone else." Well needless to say, his ebay auction fell through and he called me a day later.. So I did drive down to get the amp, and all was well.. Though I've still not figured out why he didn't want someone to come and pick it up in the first place..

Anyways.. I'm new on here and have messaged a couple of people about guitars they have for sale.. If you happen to be one of those people.. Just to let you know I am legit and get back with me on those, I really am interested..

Take care peeps

and Rock on

ps: check out www.angelfire.com/myband/Leadguitarman1 if you care to hear some live stuff from my last band.

• Members

Good info in this thread...

Now take me for example.. I don't use and/or spend time on forums, but beings that some friends managed to talk me into playing live shows again, after being out of the whole thing for 6 years. I'm in a position where I need to find the equipement I need. Example being, I just bought a Marshall JCM 2000 dsl100 half stack that a guy had posted on ebay that didn't live to far from me(within an hours drive)... Anyways.. he wanted to have me send payment and he'd still ship it.. I was like "not no but hell no..if I can't come and meet you face to face and check it out first then I guess you can sell it to someone else." Well needless to say, his ebay auction fell through and he called me a day later.. So I did drive down to get the amp, and all was well.. Though I've still not figured out why he didn't want someone to come and pick it up in the first place..

Anyways.. I'm new on here and have messaged a couple of people about guitars they have for sale.. If you happen to be one of those people.. Just to let you know I am legit and get back with me on those, I really am interested..

Take care peeps

and Rock on

ps: check out
www.angelfire.com/myband/Leadguitarman1
if you care to hear some live stuff from my last band.

glad to hear you are back in it....for what it is worth I NEVER have someone come to my house...I'll meet anywhere, but I have too much invested in my stuff financially and sentimentally to have someone "case" my place.

• Members

I sell alot on Ebay and sometimes people will win your auction then come to your house and not want the item. You can't bid on an item and win it then treat that like a chance to look at something. The couple times i have allowed this the bastards always try to haggle after they have already won the auction, where if i would have shipped it it would have been a done deal. The thing with Ebay is you are buying something you can't see first so you are taking a risk. If I wanna come look at someones item I ask them to sell it outright without bidding.

• Members

And I can see where you're comming from.. But on that same thought, one other purchase that I made with someone on ebay represented a guitar as "like new".. when in fact when I recieved it, I think it would have been in better shape if I had drug for a mile down the road behind my motorcycle. I did manage to get my money back on the guitar( less the 65.00 it ended up costing me in shipping charges, which really pissed me off).

So as much as I understand where you're coming from on that.. It also works the other way as well.. I live by the thought that a man is only as good as his word, and I don't give mine lightly nor do I not keep a deal I've made, unless something happens and I have no other choice. There seems to be a serious lack of that in this day and age.

And as far as ebay goes, I see more "lies" on there about things then you can shake a stick at. So if you and I were to ever be in a situation of making a deal, it would most likely fall through over both of our own past experiences, which is pretty sad when you think about it, But we both have to cover our "a*ss*s" in the end.

• Members

I agree with you about the fact that there are alot of bull{censored}ters on there. I have %100 feedback and I am upfront about my items.When these guys come to my house to dicker they are only doing it to see if they can save a buck, not coz I misrepresented the item which is what really pisses me off. A good case would be my brother, he sold his car on there and when the winner came to pick it up he started a bunch of {censored} with my brother until he ended up taking half of what the auction ended for. If that would have been me I would have {censored}ed the guy up and sent his ass down the road. The point is you never know what kinda asshole is coming over so it's just not a good idea.

Archived