PSR Ambient Music

• Members

Originally posted by desertlimosine

We now have all our albums available for download at our site:

http://www.psr47.com/albums.html

there's over 6 hours of free ambient, improvised, psychedelic music.

Cool :cool:

When you say psr, do you mean your only keyboard is a psr?

The reason i ask..

I have loads of stuff done entirely on a psr9000. Many laugh at the very thought of using any psr..

muppets :D

Just listened to your mp3's, i like the music your doing, high quality and very interesting.

Im working on several tracks right now, using cheaper yamaha and casio keyboards, feeding them into professional studio fx tools. Amazing sounds can be had this way.

Good work, keep at it.

A D S R

• Members

Originally posted by oldybendy

When you say psr, do you mean your only keyboard is a psr? all music done with just psr's?

A D S R

Well, we named our band based on my fantastic keyboard, which is the yamaha PSR47. I think its from 1989. It may look cheesy, but it has some awesome sounds on it. And much like you, i feed it through my guitar effects pedals, and then into a Line6 DL4.

Along with the PSR47 we also have a circuit bent PSR210, a sample pad, and various other gadgets. Most of the melody based sounds are the PSR47.

I'm glad you enjoy it.

• Members

this is great stuff! i usually have Drone Zone streaming 24/7 in my home, this stuff will definitely be getting some heavy rotation over here. are you doing this as an ensemble, as a band with other people? what instruments are involved? i'm really into this kind of stuff and do a lot of it on my own but haven't been able to pull off playing it with other people. do you guys perform live? really excellent tunes!

• Members

Originally posted by tjwett

this is great stuff! i usually have Drone Zone streaming 24/7 in my home, this stuff will definitely be getting some heavy rotation over here. are you doing this as an ensemble, as a band with other people? what instruments are involved? i'm really into this kind of stuff and do a lot of it on my own but haven't been able to pull off playing it with other people. do you guys perform live? really excellent tunes!

Awesome!

PSR is usually just two people, me (psr47 into guitar effects pedals, mic) and my friend (circuit bent psr210, roland sample pad) all going into a Line6 DL4. We sample alot of us playing guitar, acoustic, conversations, some samples of earlier recordings we've done, etc..

On the album "Kairos" there is cello added to the mix of instruments.

yeah, playing live is awesome and weird at the same time. When you get up on stage, people usually expect beats, and songs, but we deliver a good, cheap trip to space. Usually the crowd is caught off guard, and if they are sitting, then its a great experience. We've also done 2 live radio broadcasts.

Glad you enjoy it.

• Members

Originally posted by oldybendy

Cool
:cool:

When you say psr, do you mean your only keyboard is a psr?

The reason i ask..

I have loads of stuff done entirely on a psr9000. Many laugh at the very thought of using any psr..

muppets
:D

Just listened to your mp3's, i like the music your doing, high quality and very interesting.

Im working on several tracks right now, using cheaper yamaha and casio keyboards, feeding them into professional studio fx tools. Amazing sounds can be had this way.

Good work, keep at it.

A D S R

a-heh heh heh...

• Members

I love my PSR-47, had it since i was a kid. Whats the 48 like?

I don't think it's that much different. Had 100 presets, 100 rhythms (if memory serves). Had two types of sustain (button), the ability to record little melodies and accompanments (very small, about 30 seconds worth and they looped around; again, if memory serves). Could customize beats with the drum pads...hm. Oh, there was this weird ensemble button on it that made things sound weird and cut how many simultaneous notes you could hear at once (probably 1/2 polyphony! :D). Could split the keyboard, MIDI, pitch bend...

• Members

Originally posted by desertlimosine

Awesome!

PSR is usually just two people, me (psr47 into guitar effects pedals, mic) and my friend (circuit bent psr210, roland sample pad) all going into a Line6 DL4. We sample alot of us playing guitar, acoustic, conversations, some samples of earlier recordings we've done, etc..

On the album "Kairos" there is cello added to the mix of instruments.

yeah, playing live is awesome and weird at the same time. When you get up on stage, people usually expect beats, and songs, but we deliver a good, cheap trip to space. Usually the crowd is caught off guard, and if they are sitting, then its a great experience. We've also done 2 live radio broadcasts.

Glad you enjoy it.

that's cool. the few times i've done this sort of thing live i was able to keep the crowd interested by adding them into the show. what i did was hide some mics throughout the bar in some of the booths. during the set i would bring in the signal from some of the mics and mess with it and send it back out through the mix. so people watching would suddenly hear a conversation they were having five minutes earlier playing out through the sound system. lots of fun but i used Ableton Live for it. i'm much more interested in actually performing it live with some people these days.

• Members

Originally posted by tjwett

that's cool. the few times i've done this sort of thing live i was able to keep the crowd interested by adding them into the show. what i did was hide some mics throughout the bar in some of the booths. during the set i would bring in the signal from some of the mics and mess with it and send it back out through the mix. so people watching would suddenly hear a conversation they were having five minutes earlier playing out through the sound system. lots of fun.

Genius!

thats funny, because we always talk about doing that.. awesome!

• Members

Scanner does similar stuff at his live shows. but he takes it a step further by using police and phone scanners to pick up 911 calls the like. i'd like to get something going with my FIZMO, my fretless bass and some other people. i know a guy who plays clarinet thru a ridiculous pedal fx setup and he puts out some crazy drones. some minimal percussion might be cool too. used to play upright bass in a trio and the drummer used only mic'd cybals thru fx and got some interesting results. your tunes have really got me psyched to give this stuff a shot live with some heardware.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

PSR-47 = AWM + CWM fused into something called the DASS-system. Dual-Architectural Synthesis System.

Let's see.. what did Yamaha ever do with something that involved 2 kinds of synthesis? Oh wait, the SY-series of course - SY-99, SY-77, SY-35 and SY-22.

There's a "metallic brass" preset somewhere on the PSR that's pretty damn fun.. all it needs is some 'verb and stereo lovin'. I once owned the PSR-7, and I was seriously ogling the PSR-47 before my eyes saw the pricetag (and found out the Juno-60 was only half as expensive as that).

I've also seen some of the higher-end machines.. typical speaker grills, and every preset printed on the clear plastic.

Archived