OT: Friggin nigerians on Ebay..@#^%#@!!!!

dorme1

• Members

here's the deal, I'm trying to sell my laptop (thought I'd be able to dink around at work-turns out those white collar criminals keep me quite busy) anyways so someone uses buy it now and here's the email they sent me (keep in mind I'm asking 365.00 for it) 3

HOW ARE YOU DOING,I WILL LIKE TO CONTINUE THE PURCHACE THE YOUR ITEM,I WILL PAY YOU $700.00 INCLUDING THE SHIPMENT COST OF THE ITEM SENDING IT VIA EMS, DHL OR FEDEX, I AM BUYING IT FOR MY FIANCEE IN NIGERIA AS A BIRTH DAY GIFT,AS I WILL NOT BE ABLE TO BE THERE DUE TO THE DISTANCE,WELL AS FOR THE PAYMENT I WILL BE PAYING VIA BIDPAY. BECAUSE I AM A REGISTERED BIDPAY MEMBER AND I HAVE BEEN USING IT FOR THE PAST 2YEARS IT'S VERY SECURED, IF YOU DON'T HAVE A BIDPAY ACCOUNT THERE'S NO PROBLEM, THE PAYMENT WILL PROCEED IT'S NOT COMPULSORY THAT THE SELLER HAS AN ACCOUNT.SO I WILL MAKE THE PAYMENT VIA BIDPAY AS SOON AS I GET YOUR NAME AND ADDRESS,YOU WANT FOR THE DELIVERY OF YOUR MONEY BY THE BIDPAY AGENTS.THEY BIDPAY WILL SEND A PAYMENT NOTIFICATION TO YOU AS SOON AS THE PAYMENT IS BEEN DEDUCTED FROM MY ACCOUNT.SO LET ME HAVE YOUR INFOS ASAP.AND THE SHIPPING COST OF YOUR CHOICE I AM PURCHASING IT FOR MY FIANCEE IN NIGERIA HERE'S THE ADDRESS;

y'know...if you want to try and scam my money go ahead, but now I have to flippin relist the thing and go through all this b.s.

• Members

That email almost sounds legit. Its getting more difficult to screen out the scammers. One rule of thumb that most people are using is "no sales" outside the US. Its getting to the point that I'm reluctant to sell anything that's not within reasonable driving distance, or I can file theft charges against someone without jumping through hoops. There was a person I wanted to file charges against in another state, and when I called the powers that be, they told me I had to appear in person to file charges, or have someone "represent me" to do the paper work. Then they wanted PROOF that the person stole from me, and PROOF that I had the item to being with! Its getting to the point that when ever I sell something I will either deliver it myself or ask the person to pick it up and bring either a US Postal money order/ cash, or don't bother.

Trouble is, that limits where I can sell things. The whole thing sucks.

Mike T.

• Members

man, they don't give up....same thing happened again right after I re-listed it, this time the person is in Holland and wants it sent to guess where? Nigeria! when was the big tech boom in Nigeria anyways that they need all these frigging laptops...oh well at least someone else emailed me and asked if I'd ship it for free here in the US...hopefully I can just sell it to him...anyways GRrrr!!!

• Members
Originally posted by Miket156

That email almost sounds legit. Its getting more difficult to screen out the scammers.

I don't know, instead of assuming that those scammers are legit, I always assume that customers that write like developmentally-disabled children are scammers before proven otherwise :p

One rule of thumb that most people are using is "no sales" outside the US.

That definitely helps.

Archived