Best Yamaha FM synth interface.

ckett

• Members

The FS1r is going to sound more dense and punchy, and it can sound nice and consistanly smooth even in higher registers. So it's great for lead voices, delicate rhodes flurries, bass, pads...you name it. But it is horrible to program. The thing to do is use a software programmer. That way you can also store patches.

I used to own an FS1r and I sold it. No other FM synth I've used captures the complexity of the FS1r, its pristine quality. Then again the FS1r's punchyness sometimes borders on edgyness, sharpness, which isn't my preference. When I've heard the sy series FM's they always sound darker, less punchy, but less sharp as well.

I know a lot of people prefer one or the other. I've not used an Sy but I can assure you the FS1r is a magnificent synth.

• Members

I'd say Yamaha DX200 if you want to minimize the investment and only if you've got a computer interface for the software editor. But then if you've got a midi'd computer I'd have to say FM7(soft synth by Native Instruments),very clean, and user friendly. FS1R is by far the sweetest FM synth module but it's not really "accessible" again unless you've got a computer tied in. My personal favorite is the DX7IIFD/E!. It's not really accessible without making the investment in time due to a less than intuitive interface but once you get past that it can be a lot of fun. The E! is an aftermarket card that tricks the DX out to a very extreme degree but it's kinda hard to find these days.

• Members

Originally posted by ckett

Looking for the most usable FM synth in terms of programming accesiblilty and quality of sonic results.

No question, Native Instruments FM7.

If you mean only hardware, then I would say Clavia Nord Modular!

...or perhaps a Yamaha synth using a software programmer...SY99 or FS1r or DX200 spring to mind (and Yamaha even released a free Mac editor for the FS1r).

If you mean hardware only...ouch...I don't associate the word "usable" with Yammy hardware in most cases. (former SY99 owner here).

So notice, my top 2 picks based on your criteria are not from Yamaha.

cheers,

aeon

• Members

Looking for the most usable FM synth in terms of programming accesiblilty and quality of sonic results.

...or perhaps a Yamaha synth using a software programmer...SY99 or FS1r or DX200 spring to mind (and Yamaha even released a free Mac editor for the FS1r).

If you mean hardware only...ouch...I don't associate the word "usable" with Yammy hardware in most cases. (former SY99 owner here).

cheers,

aeon

• Members

cheers,

aeon

• Members

Originally posted by aeon

Verily I say unto thee aeon hitteth the nail on the noggin.

• Members

Originally posted by pighood

Verily I say unto thee aeon hitteth the nail on the noggin.

Hmmm. The Yamaha TG33 was my first Yamaha digital, and I find it incredibly straight forward. Of course the engine is nothing compared to an FS1R or SY77 or even a DX7 or probably a DX100, but I find it easy to program.

Perhaps I'm just sick. ;)

• Members

Thanks for the responses.

I have FM7 right now, but looking to go computerless for synthesis. Just wondering if Yamaha ever produced a somewhat intelligible interfce for FM.

I may just have to stick with using FM7.

Or maybe I could program sounds on FM7 then import them into the FS1R. Anyone doing this?

• Members

I don't recall if FM7 spits out/saves SysEx that can be loaded into a DX7-compatible Yammy. :confused:

Hmm...if you want hardware only, and no computer for editing (you masochist! :D ), then I would suggest a DX7IIFD or TX802, or the like.

You get the power of 6-op, but not the pain of the FS1r, or to a lesser degree, the SY77/TG77/SY99.

Of course, if you want the gritty DAC sound, or the 4-op sound, you will need to look elsewhere than the DX7IIFD or TX802.

Hmm...I don't know if you have a Peavey PC1600x or other suitable programmable knob/slider box, but I know some of them have Yammy FM programming templates (Peavey at least has ones that can be downloaded), and they would remove a lot of the pain, and speed up the tonal exploration by at least an order of magnitude.

cheers,

aeon

• Members

The FS1r is an absolute monster.

I will never sell that synth I don't care how hard it is to program.

The sound quality is as pristine as I've ever heard. Sure, some people like gritty analog better, but for that, get a VA or RA.

I got the FS1r to accent melodies with beautiful icy sounding bells and pads that evolve to no end.

I cannot even begin to describe how unbelieveable it sounds when I midi my FS1r up to my Ion and play a stacked pad with FM and VA. Unreal.

Archived