Yamaha CP60M

gilwe

• Members

Nope, not similar.. *exactly* the same sound :)

If you see one, grab it.. the inclusion of MIDI out is the thing I reckon..

A lot of bands around using the CP, although they augment it with other stuff... I think Keane use a CP70 layered with a lot of other piano sounds... also a lot their stuff is pre-recorded when they play live...

I like the CP sound on my Promega, also the Electro has a good one too...

• Members

Have you listened to it before ? As I need it more for studio work (rather than live performance) I guess the 60 model is much better (takes less space), but do they really sound exactly the same ? I love the CP sound !!

One thing that is strange to me - AFAIK the CP60 was first manufactured on 1970... The inclusion of midi does mean the instrument was manufactued in the 80s (which is fine...) ?

Are those models (CP60 and CP60M) supposed to sound different considering there is about 15 years between them ?

• Members

I got the CP60M yesterday and this is an awesome instrument !!!

It plays and feels exactly like any other Yamana upright piano, and sounds awesome, I think even better than the CP70/80. The sound is a bit more bright, and the use of the internal equalizer make it even better. Great tremolo as well !!

• Members

congrats! I'm really curious how it sounds and looks....when you could make mp3s and pictures that would be great! Does it have the double strings for each key?

I've seen a CP70M on Ebay Germany...2000eur...but it's absolutely perfect. Still, I'd have to collect it in Switzerland, and I'm always in doubt whether I wouldn't rather have a conventional piano instead. I just love the Cp sound and especially the looks, but I don't have the space for it and I like the sound of a normal piano a tad better.

• Members

So CP60M is better for you :)

I think it sounds "more" piano than CP70/80 and feels much more "Yamaha" - in the terms of how their U1 uprights plays and feels. It feels almost like a standard Yamaha upright, although the action is very low, but that's normal for all electro-acoustics as far as I know (the Kawai EP608 action was low as well).

It has one string for the lower one and a half -two octaves, and two strings for all others.

It's very compact (only 1m x 1.30m) and rather heavy (93kg), not as heavy as an acoustic piano though (190kg and up) and can be transported very easily using the 4 handles at the sides, by two (strong) people.

The sound is a bit less electric and more acoustic to my ears, and very very clear !! (the EQ helps by much). Great tremolo, two effect loops and two outs (stereo tremolo ??) and MIDI out !

Takes much less space than the CP70/80.

Got it for 650$ only !

Here's some pictures from ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38091&item=7313023221&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

• Members

As for the CP60M sound... It's amazing, but I think it doesn't sound exactly like the CP70 or CP80. They both have more "electric" sound while the the CP60M sounds more "acoustic" to me.

• Members

I can't see how it would be that different from a CP70 in terms of sound as there is no soundboard in the CP range. That being said I have heard CPs set up to sound almost like their acoustic counterparts... a lot of live jazz in the 1970s and 1980s is all CP.. I think I can still tell the CP sound though...

post some mp3s up when you can..

• Members

Well, I found thjat the EQ made all the difference - turned off the EQ and found it does sound similar after all. It seems that the integrated EQ makes a big (positive) difference in making it sound more "acoustic"...

And another off topic issue - I just bought a tuning wrench for it, and have been told there are only two different types of wrenches for pianos - using square and star "heads". I took the square one (the CP tuners are square head) but it seems that the CP tuners have a smaller head than the one of the wrench and the wrench head does not 100% feet them.

I there really only two standard "heads" for piano tuners or do I have a bad made wrench?

Thanks

• 6 years later...
  • Members

Sorry to bump this topic but I wanted to ask about this same question about the difference between CP-70 and CP-60M.

I still have the beloved sound files from bluesynths.com CP-70 review (before the site went down) and when listening sound files and playing my CP-60M, in my opinion the CP-60M sounds pretty different from CP-70 and I think the reason might be the piezo pickups as they are totally different? Here's some pics I made from mine CP-60M when I had the problem of having bad connection in particular pickup connection and tried to compensate by putting a nut under pickup to have it better support beneath:

pic4.jpg

info.jpg

nut.jpg

Pretty big difference at pickups? Whereas the CP-70/80 uses individual blocks for each key, CP-60M uses what I call "tubes" for entire key sections and each pair of "tubes" is not soldered but just have something like "pressed connection", and then each pair is soldered into another pair. Is this same type of pickup as used with entire M -series (CP-60M/70M/80M)? Is this loose pressed connection same type problem with them all? At least I think this is problem with almost every CP-60M's.

Here's sound demos from my CP-60M:

[video=youtube;B1j3ieWB8RQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1j3ieWB8RQ

In the video, I played first without internal EQ and then again with EQ on.

http://www.mikseri.net/artists/yksittaisen-synan-demo-improvisaatio/thoughts-for-better-life-original-piano-solo-improv/468840/?displ_lang=en

http://www.mikseri.net/artists/yksittaisen-synan-demo-improvisaatio/yamaha-cp-60m-electric-piano/428909/?displ_lang=en

Archived