questions - Alesis QS8.1/Alesis Ion/Yamaha RM1X/low end monitors

devolition

• Members

So I've recently decided to sell my Alesis QS8.1 to help fund the purchase of some new gear. I'm thinking $650 (US) is a fair price for the synth with the power cord and manual. It's in near new condition. Am I expecting too much money, or does that seem fair?

Also, is there anything I should know about buying an Alesis Ion? I've heard that there were some problems with the early version(s). Should I steer clear of ebay for that reason? Does anyone have any suggestions where I can find one new for $700 or less?

Now, I've never had a hardware MIDI sequencer, and I've noticed that I could probably get an RM1X for $250 or less. I like that it has some onboard sounds, although I'm not sure how great they are. Are there other comparable (hardware) sequencers in the same price range that I should consider?

Finally, I'd like some low end (~$300) powered monitors. Does anyone have any opinions about monitors in that price range - other than "they suck"? ;) The M-Audio BX5s have caught my eye, but the specs indicate that they may be a little light on the low end. (Of course, what should I expect for puny $300 speakers, right?)

• Members

Regarding the Ion, even at $700 it's worth it. I wouldn't avoid Ebay, but I'd be wary just like with any Ebay purchase. Ask questions, find out how old it is. Most of the problems can be fixed with a software update if it hasn't been done already. That period for the Ion is long gone.

I thought I read somewhere today that the M-Audio BX8s were on sale for under $300. Those would be ideal.

However, anything in the $300 range will be pretty good considering. Behringer Truths get favorable reviews. You're not going to notice a huge leap in sound quality until you're paying over $700-$800 for monitors, so I would simply recommend finding a pair of monitors in your budget that have at least a 6.5" woofer.

Archived