Slightly OT: New Ben Folds CD Dualdisc is a b1tc4

• Members

Well the CD itself as in the music is pretty good. A lot more piano in this disc.

The "regular" version comes on this really annoying DualDisc that has some sort of audio on one side (not industry standard redbook Compact Disc Digital Audio) and DVD-Video content on the back. That's great and all - but there is a warning label that says "The audio side of this disc does not conform to CD specifications and there not all DVD and CD players will play the audio side of this disc."

Well great. My Mac Mini spits out the disc on the audio side. The DVD side will at least play the DVD video. My Windows box just freezes when I insert the disc regardless of whether Autorun is disabled or not. Explorer crashes and restarts.

I was able to rip this CD that I spend my hard earned $15 on though. Because the audio side didn't seem to want to work on any combo drive or DVD-ROM drive, I did have an old CD-RW drive on my linux box - it had no problems reading the CD and no problems ripping the raw audio to WAV using Sound Juicer. :D I'm running Fedora Core 3 in a Gnome environment on an AthlonXP 1800+, basically a 3 year old machine. I then imported the WAV into iTunes on my Windows box and encoded to 256Kb AAC then copied to my iTunes Library on my Mac. It really wasn't that complex, it took maybe 20 mins to do everything but still - what a pain in the arse...

:mad:

To top it off, there is a deluxe edition of Songs for Silverman that costs $5 more than separates the CD-Audio and DVD-Video onto industry standard discs that don't have this problem. Fokkers... :mad:

Archived