Effecient VST softsynths?

r33k

• Members

I'm wanting to try out some VST softsynths on my laptop for composing while on the road. My laptop is not a dinosaur, but it's no spring chicken either.

I'm interested in hearing about VST's that are known to sip processor cycles lightly, so that I can run a number of instances of them to flesh out an arrangement.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

• Members

LinPlug Albino isn't too bad on the cycles. It's higher than some things, but it sounds extremely good. I usually have many instances of it going before I see any significant CPU usage.

All of the plugins made by ReFX are pretty easy on the CPU.

I'd stay clear of the Arturia synths on a slower PC. The Korg synths use quite a bit as well.

Native Instruments is pretty good. Pro53 sounds nice, and hardly uses any CPU. FM7 uses a bit more. Reaktor is completely variable depending on the ensembe you're creating or using.

You can get a basic version of LinPlug Alpha for free on their site. It's a very simple subtractive synth.

These are just the ones I can think of right now.

• Members

Can Reason act as a VST host? Or are you suggesting that I do everything in Reason? I'm not really doing 'dance' electronic stuff... Is Reason good for general composing?

• Members

i was understanding your post to mean that you wanted to do some composing and so forth on your computer and were looking for softsyths to do it.

Yes, you can sequence, add FX, synths, samples, etc. in Reason. Very few programs are MADE for only "dance" music, with the exception of stuff like FL, and even things like FL can be used for other purposes.

If you want very realistic VSt's you're looking at stuff like yellowtools stuff or heavy samplers like Kontakt, which are gonna tax your processor and your memory.

Nowhere in your original post did you say you wanted something besides synth sounds. When you say "syth" we think stuff like arturia and the stuff mentioned.

If you're after a more realistic sound, let us know.

• Members

The point I'm getting at is this: If I'm going to use Reason, it has to have decent softsynths built in and it has to be able to do MIDI sequencing from an external MIDI controller.

Otherwise, I'm going to get something like Live or Cubase and use some of the synths suggested by J3RK. That was the route I was planning to go and wanted suggestions for effecient synths.

• Members

well running a modern host like live is going to strain a weaker computer to begin with.

if you want to use your not-so-modern laptop just for simple composing on the road then reason would be my first choice. and i dont make dance music.

*shrugs*

pro-53 is a good choice otherwise.

• Members

i'd say pro-53 is a good choice, but its as electronic sounding as any analog or va (as the case is, i suppose).

yes, you can use a midi controller with reason, i'd suggest going to propellerheads website or just putting reason into google to get that sorta basic info and any other you might want about specs for reason.

Hell yea, cubase and especially ableton PLUS some vsts are gonna clock out your {censored} much more quickly than reason would by running 2 or 3 subtractors, dr.rex, redrum, a couple of NN sampler instances, the sequencer, and some FX.

• Members

Depending on your desire to delve into synthesis, you might want to look in to how to get a synth more efficient, if that is the case deffinatly check out reaktor and/or max/msp... in which case a light setup should consist of live along side reaktor(with your very own optomised patches)... Live is great on laptops as the allocation of proccessing goes to audio first then to graphics, your graphics cut out first basically but the audio will keep trying to chug along.

If you want a sample of how to make a synth more efficent or just want some of the most strange synths out their and some of(IMHO) the best sounding synths out their, give reaktor a try.(current roster of the user library for reaktor 732 different synths[FM, wavetable, granular, virtual analog, additive]182 samplers, 335 sequencers, 293 effects and 333 "special")

If your going to be in the sahara for 2 years and want to come out with a degree in DSP programming pick up max/msp.

• Members

Reaktor, like a real one is too heavy for an underpowered machine. Good point is that earlier versions of programs will likely be gentle on the load.

You could also use the "lite" entry level version of whatever major sequencer you use just to work with and then just pop it over to your main rig with the full program.

• Members

Originally posted by cybermooks

Reaktor, like a real one is too heavy for an underpowered machine.

Originally posted by c3400

Depending on your desire to delve into synthesis, you might want to look in to how to get a synth more efficient, if that is the case deffinatly check out reaktor and/or max/msp...

I am pretty sure you missed my point

Archived