Does anybody use a graphical EQ with their synth?

• Members

Originally posted by Yoozer

For only a synth I'd consider it overdone - for mastering purposes, it'd be useful.

I'd rather spend it on effects, I think.

Already have 1 effects unit.

I'd actually be running an MS2000R, EA-1 and ER-1 through the EQ.

I admit there really isn't a need for it. But I feel very compelled to have something in every slot.

The MS2000R takes up like 4 slots. Then 1 for the FX, 1 for the line mixer. There's at least one left, maybe 2. Depending on how many slots are taken up by the cables in the top of the MS2000R.

Maybe the money would be better spent on therapy instead.

• Members

Originally posted by jcn37203

I'm considering it, mostly for kicks and giggles, and because I have an open slot in my rack, and a few extra bucks, and a nearby store with a glut of used graphical EQ units.

wasn't there a company that made blanks for racks that looked like FX-units...?

funky names too, as far as I remember.

anyone with better memory/link organization than me?

SBL

• Members

Originally posted by StompBoxLover

SBL

lol, I could just paint one to look all high tech and impressive and stuff.

:)

• Members

Once I have the money I plan on having rackmount EQs for both my mic and each of my keyboards. My band's practice mixer only has two-band EQ on each channel (five band EQ on the whole board :rolleyes: ) which is completely obscene.

EQs are underrated by instrumentalists. Ya'll gotta realize how much a bad sound can be made good, just with equalization, even a bad patch.

• Members

Parametrics seem to work better on synths than graphics in my experience. As Yoozer said, not all that necessary with the sound shaping tools available on modern keyboards, but if you must... and if you get a parametric, you'll at least learn something from it.

• Members

Originally posted by Fear My Potato

instrumentalists. Ya'll gotta realize how much a bad sound can be made good, just with equalization, even a bad patch.

You could also look at it this way: An EQ is another kind of filter - or all of them for that matter. ;)

• Members

Yeah - IMO, the EQ is the most powerful effect/processor out there. It's even above delay, I'd say, and all of its derivative effects - unless you account for the fact that digital filters are made using delay... *cough*

But I still say EQ. I use a nice graphical parametric EQ on everything that even remotely needs it :D if I was working with hardware I don't know how I'd live without it... so get it! If you're rich and all, and can afford to get that kind of stuff.

• Members

I agree that EQ is a worth looking into and can really improve a sound.

What's also good about rackmount EQ's is that they've been producing quality ones for quite a long time. So, you can find a fairly good one (art or something) on Ebay or elsewhere for cheap.

• Members

Originally posted by new_voodoo2

I agree that EQ is a worth looking into and can really improve a sound.

What's also good about rackmount EQ's is that they've been producing quality ones for quite a long time. So, you can find a fairly good one (art or something) on Ebay or elsewhere for cheap.

+1

• Members

I would never use a graphic EQ with a synth, or anytime, really...way too much phase shift and sound degredation.

Parametric all the way! ;)

A FIR-based digital graphic EQ is OK, but the delay is hefty to say the least, so it is not so good for anything but the studio.

cheers,

aeon

• Members

Originally posted by StompBoxLover

SBL

Funk Logic. Try mercenary.com (home of the rec forums own Fletcher). I love those things. If I'm ever at the point where I can afford to blow cash on goofy stuff instead of real studio gear, I'm all over their stuff. :D

I use a 31 band Berhinger on my live rig. I just like to use it to compensate for the club's PA and room. If my pianos are getting lost in the mix, instead of turning them up, just bump a little high-mid, and they punch through a lot better. I often roll off some of the top end, too, just to cover up less-than-stellar sounds from some of my gear.

Once I have the fancy rig I really want, I'll do away with it, but for now it seems to help.

Archived