Cleaning "yellowed" keys?

• Members

Hey gang -

I just picked up a used Ensoniq EPS sampler keyboard for next-to-nothing...

But the keys are uniformly yellowed.

Anyone know of a way to brighten up the keys on a vintage board?

Mineral Spirits? Turpentine? Ajax?

Please let me know if you have tried this.

Thanks!

• Members

You want to be sure they are actually yellowed and not made that way. I know this sounds weird, but I have 8 synths, and I noticed that the keys on two of the Korgs (DW8000 and DSS1)were slightly 'yellower' looking than they ivory-white color of all the other synths. I never smoked around my synths, and the slight yellowness of the keys on these two synths were identical in color and uniform across all keys. I discovered later that the keybeds on these two synths were made by Panasonic, and they are actually "off-white" from the factory. So take that into consideration, you might be trying in vain to restore them to their 'original color'.

• Members

Originally posted by ChipCurtis

slight yellowness of the keys on these two synths were identical in color and uniform across all keys. I discovered later that the keybeds on these two synths were made by Panasonic, and they are actually "off-white" from the factory. So take that into consideration, you might be trying in vain to restore them to their 'original color'.

Chip -

Thanks so much I never considered this; the yellowing is so even that this must be the case.

• Members

Originally posted by tdempsey

Hey gang -

I just picked up a used Ensoniq EPS sampler keyboard for next-to-nothing...

But the keys are uniformly yellowed.

Anyone know of a way to brighten up the keys on a vintage board?

Mineral Spirits? Turpentine? Ajax?

Please let me know if you have tried this.

Thanks!

The best cleaning aid I have found and used in the retail business is BRASSO. It not only cleans but polishes and doesn't leave a slippery film. It doesn't hurt plastic keys.

But as stated the manufacturer could have been trying to get a real ivory look. Playing in bars where there is a lot of smoke will form a stain much like a cigarette filter. If BRASSO doesn't take it off you can rest assured it was meant to be yellow.

Hope this is helpful to you.

• Members

thanks, 8keyplayer...

I'm less keen today now that I've got it home - when I picked it up it was in a garage near the door, and the sunlight sort of exaggerated the yellowness.

Once it was home under artifical light, it seemed less of an issue.

thanks again.

Archived