Why would Yamaha have left FDSP out of Motif?

• Members

IMO, that was one of the greatest things that they've come up with in a LONG time.

The amount of animation and dynamics that FDSP brings to EP patches, electric guitar patches etc. is just insane.

When you go from playing a purely AWM Rhodes patch on the EX7 to converting it to an FDSP patch, the difference is night at day. I can't even imagine how much more superior the already amazing EPs on the Motif ES would be with the addition of an FDSP engine to control pickup settings, drive, tone etc.

Not to mention.. FDSP is great for more than just pickup emulations. Look at all the different types of FDSP on the EX series and imagine the possibilities.

FDSP Type

Electric Piano Pickup / Electric Guitar pickup / Water / PWM / Flange / Phaser / Self FM / Tornado / Ring Mod /Seismic(10 types)

The Tornado algorithm creates some of the wickedest sounding pianos you'll ever hear. One patch in particular, "Tornado EP" is a perfect example.

For the life of me, I just don't know why they would have left that out (even as an expansion option) on the Motif series.

• Members

i think it was too 'processor intensive'. sometimes great ideas get left in the dust for no apparent reason (other than maybe lack of sales, which also happened to the Z1).

i think the EX series didn't pay off for yamaha like they expected and they decided to go a more conservative route with the Motif series.

it seems like it might have been the right choice from a purely business perspective, but it's a great loss none-the-less.

Archived