Synth comes home (redux)

• Members

Okay...

So after two tries (long story), I finally managed to buy an MKS70 off of eBay (my first eBay purchase - really).

I had a JX8P in the 80s, and I just loved the thing - I sold it when $ got tight. Then I played in a band that owned a JX10, which I loved even more. I've really missed the sound of that engine, and I've been jonesing for it for years. Finally, it's back.

I got it last week, and I've been sitting here tonight playing with it. It's better than I remembered! Awesome sound - really distinctive (I LOVE distinctive sounding instruments). Killer brass, warm strings, edgy bells, rippin' sync, sizzly filter...

So, here's my question - how many of you have re-bought synths that you once had? When you did, was it as good as you remembered it, or were you reminded why you got rid of it in the first place?

dB

BTW - this is a duplicate of a thread that I started in the KC when I tried to buy the first MKS-70 - I never followed up on it after actually landing one.

• Members

Congratulations!

Having comitted the crime of selling my JX8 and two JX10s, I'll have to make amends by getting an MKS-70 one day. I seriously miss those, esp. the JX10s.

Initially I got a JX8 and sold it. Then regretted it and got a JX10 which I sold later. Then I regretted again and got another JX10, which I also sold. Come to think of it I had yet another JX8 but only very briefly. All of them with PG-800s. Why? Aaaahhrrrg! What was I thinking?

DJ

--

• Members

I had a JX-10 once....cost me $1300 back in 1989. Had the PG-800 and everything. And NINE M-64c's. Loved its sound, but was frustrated with having to sit on it to engage the aftertouch. MIDI spec spooked me, no sysex dumps and that. Lived in mortal fear of a dying battery from either synth or M64.

NOTHING sounded like a JX pad (you know the one....tone #67). Droolworthy.

• Members

Originally posted by Dave Bryce

I got it last week, and I've been sitting here tonight playing with it. It's better than I remembered! Awesome sound - really distinctive (I LOVE distinctive sounding instruments). Killer brass, warm strings, edgy bells, rippin' sync, sizzly filter...

so they gave you money back from the first one? that's cool. glad you're happy with it. yeah this synth has my favorite "synth" bells of all analogs - that preset I94 Synthbell2 is KILLER. and those strings and cellos - creamy puding with cherry topping.. yumm !!

grinning-smiley-003.gif

• Members

I am guilty of selling and then re-buying gear.

I have owned 2 different Juno 106s. I have had 3 different Voce V5s. I have had 3 different Motion Sound Pro3Ts.

I kept my original JX8P from 1985 when I bought it new, but did have an MKS-70 and PG-800 that slipped through my hands for a profit along the way.

Regards,

Eric

• Members

Does it count if I sold my Wavestation then got Korg Legacy? How about selling my Poly 800 and then replacing it with a Super Jupiter? (Hey, that story worked on my wife...)

Dave, have you played around with impOSCar? I was itching for a digilog like an MKS-70, Prophet VS or Microwave 1, but this soft synth has kinda got it goin on. It's the first VA to do it for me.

• Members

I have bought, played with, hated, sold, and then missed the Roland SH-101 a few times. I am currently without.

I rebought a Wavestation, but soon remembered why I sold it in the first place.

I saw a JX8 with programmer for $650 recently, and I remember some other dufus trying to sell an MKS-70 for $650 too.... both in the Recycler!

:rolleyes:

on a side note- I just woke up and am already posting on thet HG forums. I think I'm adicted :(

• Members

Had a JD800 and sold it. Wish I hadn't so I got a JD990. Still have that. Still want the JD800 as well!!

Sold the Virus B. Waiting for the TI...

Sold the Mono Evolver. Still waiting for the MEK. ;)

• Members

well, i haven't actually re-aquired anything that i've sold in the past (yet) but a few that i i wouldn't mind having around are...

Roland SH-101 - my first synth. i had a friend at the time who had a few synths (including a MiniMoog), but wasn't very interested in them myself until i saw a 101 for sale at a local shop. looked like something out of Star Wars and gave me an instant hard-on, i had to have it. from there i fell into an unhealthy addiction to drum machines and more synths...

Sequential Six-Trak - i've never heard another that sounded quite like this (though i did get close a couple times with a uQ running a band-pass through a low-pass). i sold it planning to buy a Multi-Trak for the six outs, but never did. now i hear there's more differences between the two than just the outs (?)...

Casio FZ-20m - my first sampler (besides that {censored}ty SP-202 that i wasted $300 on when it dropped), and far more than a sampler at that. the thing was dead mint and i know i'll never find another that nice. makes me absolutely sick to think about it, i loved that thing but just never used it much at the time...

that's all i can think of at the moment, i'll try to find a list of all the {censored} i've owned over the years to see if there's something i'm forgetting...

• Members

This is so timely...

I just sold my second Korg DW8000, this one with the Angel City Upgrade. My first I owned between 1988-1993. I sold for um,... rent really. At the time the synth was truely wonderful. Easy to program. Rich, deep, swelling pads, cool belltones and some great mono/poly leads. Two years ago (and many synths later) I found someone on HC letting his go for less than $200. I bought it and as soon as it arrived I tried to remember all of the fantastic programming tweaks. However after a few days I realized that for all of the fat sounds and tweaking fun... it was just too big for 33Lbs of limited stand space. I sold it to fund a Yamaha EX7. I don't regret it.

All of the sounds I can program on the DW8000 I can easily achieve on the Triton, Micron or Yamaha. Of course I'll miss the warmth and those oh so great filters, but maybe down the road when I buy a house, I'll buy another. Of course there's always hope that Korg releases a Legacy II package in a few years... a DW8000, Sigma and Trinity softsynth package. ;)

Archived