Old Oberheim synth problem - anyone run into this?

• Members

I'm getting no sound from one of the outputs of my Oberheim Matrix 6R. The level of the other output seems pretty low. It sounds fine through its headphone outs. I'm gonna be pulling it out of the rack tonight to look at it. Hopefully it just needs cleaning. It's only used in my home studio and not that often. No hard life on the road for this unit. But it's all over my original music. I'd hate to lose it.

Anyone else run into this? Anyone willing to hazard a guess what the problem is?

• Members

The Matrix 6R is not a stereo device, more like dual mono. The typical patch will sound out of only one output, unless you have Stereo switched on, and another patch can be programmed to output on the other jack. Please check this before doing anything drastic.

• Members

John,

There's also a remote possibility that you've sent it MIDI volume = 0. Most synths won't even sound from their headphone outs when you send it volume = 0 but maybe it's worth a shot sending it volume = 127 and seeing what happens.

• Members

I slid it out of the rack and cleaned it up a little last night. It wasn't bad, just a little dust in the back. I took the lid off, checked if the connection of the cable going to the output jacks was good, then MIDI'ed it to my ESQ1 and tried playing it. It sounds fine.

I was so relieved! I love my MAtrix 6R! Thanks for all your responses! :D

Archived