Anyone opened a Roland A80 keyboard?

NooYawkah

• Members

I've got a ten year old Roland A80 that now has a key that won't rebound. It probably got dinged during a recent move.

Does anyone have experience or advice on how to take the keyboard apart to at least get at the parts underneath the keys?

Many thanks.

:confused:

• Members

I've got the service notes which has a complete assembly blow out but I'm not sure how to describe disassembly to you. There is a special tool that Roland had or you can make one as described for removing the key. I was inside mine several times but never had key type problems.

I would call Roland and see if the service manual is still available.

If you want to buy mine PM me.

• Members

it looks like to me, that you have to remove the screws from the backside and easily remove the back, and without unscrewing any wires, cables, cards etc... if you can keep the backside an inch away from the rest you should be able to correct the key...

if it still isn't possible you should remove the sides from the keyboard and only the sides....

if it still don't work I don't know what's wrong... something similar happened to my roland v-combo, and I only had to screw off the backside

let me know!

• Members

I've had an A80 for years, and been through several broken key replacements. It's anything but easy, unless you have the right tool, which is a special key removal tool as specified in the A80 service manual.

I'm not sure if this tool is still available from Roland, though as of about a year ago I was able to order replacement keys from the A80. Perhaps it's worth a call to Roland's parts department to see if you can get the tool (you can find their number on the web).

If you can't get the tool, the service manual provides instructions on how to make one from a large heavy-duty paper clip. I've made one of these and it will work like a charm provided the paper clip is made of thick wire.

But having been through the process several times now I'd strongly suggest trying to get the tool from Roland.

If it's not available, let me know and I'll scan the service manual pages for you.

• Members

If you're willing to scan that part of the manual, it would be most awesome!

The A80's been a great keyboard with a superb weighted touch, though it's a bear to lug around. I'd like to try to repair it, and any information on its inner workings would be a great help.

:)

• Members

markyboard, jeez, just blew right past your post up there. My bad. Didn't mean to cut the line.

NooYawka, buying markyboard's service manual might be the move. It's a good thing to have for a piece this old. The key replacement section is 5 pages by itself. If that doesn't work out, then let me know and we'll talk about sending scans.

• Members

Thanks, y'all, for your advice and your offers.

skijam, I think you're right in that it's better to have the full service manual in case something else goes South down the road. Markyboard, I appreciate the offer, and may talk to you again about buying your book later on if you still have it and are willing to sell it.

As it turns out, I found the information I was looking for at a Swedish website. If anyone ever searches the Harmony-Central forums for Roland A80 keyboard repair information and comes across this thread, the URL is here:

http://www.soundofmusic.se/synth/a80/a80.htm

There was enough info there to get me over the hump.

:cool:

Archived