M-Audio Oxygen 8

guller

• Members

I need a midi controller to program drum beats and bass lines using Reason, Project5, and Live. It will only be used in a basement studio occasionally.

They have an Oxygen 8 at my local store for $125. Anyone ever use one of these? Are they decent?

Thanks

• Members

I had one. In short, it will do all the things you want it to, but there are potentially better alternatives alternatives nowadays. Key complaints, are the key action is stiff and not particularly accurate, and the knobs don't always increment by +/1 like they're supposed to. Also looks and feels like cheap plastic (which it is) - doesn't bother some like it does others though.

You maybe want to look at the Alesis Photon 25 (and X25 which has an audio interface built in), and the E-Mu X-Board. The Novation ReMote 25 is arguably the best, but is also the most expensive. (the Novation X-Station 25 has an audio interface built in)

• Members

I completely agree with sevensinner, you pay too much for a normal controller, with nothing special and ugly looks. Its really useful (like all controllers) but key action, knob quality, looks and material are not top notch by any means.

I would say its worth 60$, and would take one new for around 90$.

Also, to be fair, I must say its very resistant. Mine was slamed, stomped, thrown, crunched, etc... and still worked perfectly fine.

• Members

I have one that I use with reason and I always liked it...I think for the price it is pretty good. i mean in this price range you cant really expect to get high quality key action can you???

I use it on a mac and have NEVER had one single prob with the unit or drivers...and I think it looks sharper than many ot the other alternatives in the same price range.

my 2 cents

Archived