Which synth?

hyperjoga

• Members

...ahhh, the classic "which synth should I buy?" thread. :)

I'm needing some analog sounds beyond my monotimbral Novation A-Station...

Right now I'm looking at the following:

Nord Lead 2x

Nord Lead 2

DSI Poly Evolver Keys (though admittedly, this one is pricey)

Korg MS2000b

Nord Modular keys

Studio Electronics SE-1

Is MacBeth still selling any of his old stuff? The M5 is too much $$ for me, but I remember he made some killer mid-range stuff a few years back..

I've never played with any of these synths before with the exception of the Nord Modular, which I used to own (and loved, I might add). Just looking for a general concensus on the synths listed, and any others you might recommend.

Thanks guys.

• Members

Why not dump the Astation for a Bassstation?

Based om your choices, I would go for the SE-1.

Not a flame, but out of curiosity, you are almost at 2500 posts here and you can't answer your own question?

• Members

Originally posted by rjx

Not a flame, but out of curiosity, you are almost at 2500 posts here and you can't answer your own question?

As I said, I'm just looking for a general consensus on the synths above, and any additional suggestions I might want to look into. Not looking for someone to hold my hand, just looking for opinions from users of the above synths.

Not interested in getting rid of the A-Station. More interested in expanding beyond it. Thanks for the suggestion though. :)

• Members

Originally posted by idiotboy

What's your budget and musical style? Maybe an A6?

Good question. I'd like to spend under $1200, but could be persuaded to spend more on the right synth. The Andromeda is indeed a dream machine, but far too spendy at $3k, I think...

• Members

Since you used to own a Nord Mod, and loved it, why not go down that familiar road once again?

There is something to be said about familiarity with a piece of gear and how that affects workflow and such...

Of course, if you truly want analog sounds, then you need to consider an analog of some sort.

Kind of hard to answer without knowing your other gear, working style, music style, budget, etc.

cheers,

Ian (with his admitted Nord Mod bias)

Archived