laptop suggestions?

dirge

• Members

search feature is dead right now, so i'll ask here:

ok... so my 3-year old 10lb laptop is getting a little old, and i'm thinking of selling som gear to get a new one. i'd like to find something that is around 5lbs and has at least 5hrs battery life. I'll be using this for other stuff than just music, but if i can select one that works better for it, i might as well...

i'm looking at the ibook g4 (12") or the dell inspiron 700m (1gb ram w/ dual capacity battery), but i'm open to suggestions. i'd like to have a notebook that is no larger than a 14" screen. budget of up to $1200 if i can sell all the necessary gear.

i'd be running photoshop, illustrator, and probably cubase, ableton live and any freeware sofsynth i can find (the availability of freeware is not a determining factor of OS)...

so... any suggestions?

i'm not really looking for mac vs pc debate; i'm interested in the comaprative performance.

• Members

the new ibooks have the scrolling trackpad, which is a fun addition. I wouldn't get a Dell..

I remember seeing an Asus laptop on eBay that had a 7200rpm hard drive, pentium m 1.8ghz, 15" lcd, for like $950 shipped. Seeing as it's probably faster than my powerbook for half the price.. :eek: i know you're looking for a 14" or smaller...

• Members

Originally posted by dirge

out of curiosity... why should one avoid dell?

not dell in particular, but i've noticed that the price advantage than wintel machines have over the mac pretty much disappears when you realise you need to carry your computer around with you. (for those of us who need to do that sort of thing.)

apple laptops are extremely full-featured elegant powerhouses that don't cost any more than their equivilant pc counterparts.

but, the application does also bear on the question. do you want to run Sonar and Fruity Loops or Performer and Numerology? or do you want to use protools or protools?

i personally would rather starve than be an engineer in a windows-based facility but my friend James swears by adobe cool audition edit pro, preferring it to Nuendo (on a side note, i would rather use Power Tracks Pro 9 than Nuendo).

different strokes, YMMV, etc .

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members

If you can at all-- find you a Mac Powerbook. I switched from Windows to Mac fulltime 2yrs ago, and WOW! Ever had a computer crash during a show? my Windows based friend did, but I NEVER have. Macs are much more stable and handle audio (and video) better than Windows PCs. I advise a Powerbook, though, because they have more ports, and higher maximum RAM than ibooks.

• Members

Originally posted by dirge

search feature is dead right now, so i'll ask here:

i'm not really looking for mac vs pc debate; i'm interested in the comaprative performance.

Well, the Pentium-M processor is giong to be faster than the G4 in the iBook, but if you buy the iBook from Amazon, for $900, free shipping, no tax, that's a really good deal right there for what you get.

In my opinion, the 700m has a MUCH nicer screen than the 12" iBook though. The iBook's screen looks pretty washed out and dim comparatively, but that may or may not bother you. Also the glossy coating on the 700m may or may not be annoying.

Archived