Trade: 1988 Takamine EN-15 acoustic/electric quality electric for Gibson SG

jonesy77777

• Members

Looking for someone interested in trading my 1988 Takamine EN-15 for a Gibson SG standard or classic, or will sell outright for $800. After much research and help from Kaman music I can confirm that it is a solid cedar top, solid ROSEWOOD back and sides, parametric eq/pre-amp, mahogany neck and 7 ply WOOD binding. It IS a made in Japan Takamine, during a very desired period in japanese takamines. It is a discontinued model now, but is similar in specs/materials as a Takamine TAN15. This is a dreadnought, not a cutaway, they don't make a dreadnought cedar/rosewood combo now, pretty rare. There is a small ding on front, and tiny bit of buckle rash(square inch) on back. The MIJ Takamine EN-15 retailed for over a $1000 20 years ago when this was made. IMG_1564_7_1.jpgIMG_1563_6_1.jpgIMG_1562_5_1.jpgIMG_1560_3_1.jpg

• Members

Hey thanks,

I just really want an SG and figure a trade would be the best way, I would sell too, but for enough to buy an SG. PM an offer and if it's close to what I can get a used SG for than I'll do it. Thanks and if you have any questions feel free.

• Members

Hi there,

Yes I am pretty sure it is, most of the highend taks are solid top/back from what I know. I actually thought it was a mahogany back like the modern natural series, but was corrected by two different people from takamine that it is solid ROSEWOOD back and sides. The TAN15C is the modern cutaway version of the EN-15. I had a hard time finding out anything, because it isn't anywhere on the net, I even bought a blue book which didn't have it, but the guys at Tak had all the info on it. Needless to say I knew I had a nice instrument but was pleased when I found out all the details. Here are the emails though.

"Hello Emmerson,

Here are the specs for your guitar:

Dreadnought

Scale length 25-3/8"

Nut Width 1-9/16"

Upper bout width 11-1/8"

Lower bout Width 15-3/4"

Total guitar length 40-15/16"

total body length 20-1/16"

upper bout depth 4"

lower bout depth 4-15/16"

Solid rosewood back and sides, solid cedar top."

askus@takamine.com

"Emerson,

That built in Japan model from 1988 featured:solid cedar top,rosewood back,sides,fingerboard and bridge,mahogany neck,parametric eq.The retail price at the time was CA$1050.00."

Ron Shaughnessy

B&J Music Ltd./KMC

service dept.

• Members

I should mention that Kaman Music are the US/Can distributors for Takamine, I got their contact info. from the Takamine site. Anybody that has more info. or something to add please do, I am new to this site but like the rest of you, I am a guitar and music lover too, and am not here to mislead anyone. In fact I would appreciate any feedback from fellow EN-15 owners. Cheers, Emerson.

Archived