Need Advice: Synth shopping in Tokyo

GregCh

• Members

I am travelling to Tokyo for a week in September.

I want to visit stores with keyboards

Anyone know Tokyo from here ? I figure there are a few travellers around.

I have googled ' sushi synths ' and

'shakuhachi sweetwater ' and I am not finding anything

• Members

A few years ago I was at a "Sofmap" synthesizer shop in Tokyo. It's a chain for used electronics AFAIK. The shop I visited was just a few blocks away from the big Akhibara electronics mall. Should be fairly easy to find. Amazing place, absolutely crammed with synth gear of all kinds, new and old.

I think there are HC'ers with real knowledge on the subject (living there). Surely they will chime in soon.

DJ

--

• Members

Although I'm mainly a guitarist, I did live in Tokyo for a couple of years so maybe I can help you out. The main musical instrument district in Tokyo is in Ochanomizu. Most of the stores are stocked with guitars, but since at the time I wasn't that interested in electronic music, I didn't really pay attention to the keyboard stock. However, many of these stores do everything (vintage amps, keys, guitars, effects), in fact there was one store that had a whole floor (albeit small) dedicated to just effects and weird pedals. My favorite shop was actually a tiny store that only had Japanese knockoff strats and les pauls and a bunch of vintage Orange heads (heaven!). To get to Ochanomizu take the Chuo-line (orange) to Ochanomizu and walk out and all of the shops are right there by the station. There are also a bunch of stores scattered throughout Shibuya and Shinjuku. If you tell me where your hotel is, I can give you an idea of how to get to everywhere.

• Members

From what I've heard, you could probably make a pile of cash if you could figure out a way to bring a few vintage American synths into Japan. New Japanese synths used to be cheaper over there, but I don't think that's the case anymore. I'd be curious to find out from anyone, or give us a report when you're there. :)

• Members

Just in case you missed it on MP...

There's a cool music-retail complex in the Shibuya district. One of the stores is called Key. Around the corner is another shop with the synth department downstairs. They had an awesome collection when I visited last year. Definitely worth checking out. You can find a map on this Japanese site: www.musicland.co.jp/shibuya

• Members

The only Roland museum I'm aware of is located in Roland's Lake Hamana R&D facility, just outside of Hamamatsu. That's the holy grail of Roland history ... with one of each on display. If there's another such place in Tokyo, that's news to me. Where in Tokyo did you see it?

• Members

I live near Tokyo.

Like GregRule said, you should definately go to the shop "music land KEY" if you are interested in Roland. It is now one of the "Roland planet shops" specialized in Roland/Edirol products, and you can freely play most of the Roland synths.

It is near Shibuya station.

http://roland-planet.jp/shops/03/images/map.gif

Also there is a shop named "BEE" just near "KEY".

Their prices are lower than most of other shops. I usually buy synths there.

http://www.bee-club.net/BCN-MAP/SIBUYA-MAP.htm#SIBUYA-MAP

Archived