Legal action from Italy, eh?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by BOBA JFET

I don't see where you're going with this one.

Money buys liability insurance. You've got to be professional or have deep pockets to do much more than autocross or a few select track events in the US.

Take the UK for example. There are so many car clubs, amature auto events its rediculous. Any kind of racing you can think of, they've got it. On a budget. 20 quid entry fees. Liability hasn't killed things there.

• Members

SCCA dropped all of the west coast rallys last year. Why? Liabilty insurance got too expensive. There is 0 profit in those things. Most/all the money goes to liability insurance. And a sandwich for me when I'm working timing control in the middle of no where.

Thankfully RallyUSA picked up California Rally Series, and they are able to race again. But its only a matter of time until an accident happens, a lawsuit proceeds, and there is no one willing to pay for insurance again.

• Members

Originally posted by urbanscallywag

Money buys liability insurance. You've got to be professional or have deep pockets to do much more than autocross or a few select track events in the US.

Take the UK for example. There are so many car clubs, amature auto events its rediculous. Any kind of racing you can think of, they've got it. On a budget. 20 quid entry fees. Liability hasn't killed things there.

Okay, but then the problem isn't really liability itself, but more who should be liable. Without knowing more about it, I can't say who is more out of touch, the US or the UK. But in general, when it involves really big things going really fast and humans in close proximity, it's good to err on the side of caution.

Maybe this brits have less problems with liability because their tracks are safer?

• Members

SCCA dropped all of the west coast rallys last year. Why? Liabilty insurance got too expensive. There is 0 profit in those things. Most/all the money goes to liability insurance. And a sandwich for me when I'm working timing control in the middle of no where.

Thankfully RallyUSA picked up California Rally Series, and they are able to race again. But its only a matter of time until an accident happens, a lawsuit proceeds, and there is no one willing to pay for insurance again.

Do these rallies take place on private or public courses? Because to me, if it's a public course it seems kind of crazy to ask the rest of the world to watch out for your dangerous form of recreation.

• Members

Originally posted by keyman_sam

I told Mr.William that marino was a well-respected member of the forum. He said some stuff about these respected members including saying that Marino might be using a pirated copy.

For example, writing, "I think that [someone] is accepting bribes." is not libel because it is published as an idea of the publisher. On the other hand, if the publisher writes, "[someone] is accepting bribes." and the statement is proved to be false, then the publisher can be considered guilty of libel.

Part 1 from marino's post, part 2 from BOBA's links. Case dismissed.

• Members

On the other hand, I went to the Pike's Peak Hill Climb like 5 years ago. I twas a blast, but there were a lot of dumb{censored}s standing right outside of the berms where the vehicles drift right to the edge, and very occasionally right over the edge. If somebody crashed and killed somebody standing right on the outside of the course like that, and the driver was held liable, I'd call that rediculous.

• Members

Do these rallies take place on private or public courses? Because to me, if it's a public course it seems kind of crazy to ask the rest of the world to watch out for your dangerous form of recreation.

I'm not interested in the semantics behind racing, I'm just stating what I know: there's a large difference between motorsports in this country and nearly every other one and a great deal of that is because liability insurance costs too much in the US.

• Members

I'm not interested in the semantics behind racing, I'm just stating what I know: there's a large difference between motorsports in this country and nearly every other one and a great deal of that is because liability insurance costs too much in the US.

I hear you, but hating liability because of liability insurance is like hating life because of life insurance.

• Members

On the other hand, I went to the Pike's Peak Hill Climb like 5 years ago. I twas a blast, but there were a lot of dumb{censored}s standing right outside of the berms where the vehicles drift right to the edge, and very occasionally right over the edge. If somebody crashed and killed somebody standing right on the outside of the course like that, and the driver was held liable, I'd call that rediculous.

This is a reason why Group B rally is dead. Photographers really liked to get an up close view of the grills of rally cars. :(

• Members

The system needs to be fixed in the United States is all. I blame lawyers and greedy folks.

Oh, I'm with you there. All I'm saying it hat it's a problem of misplaced liability rather than a problem with the idea of liability, and the difference is far from semantic.

• Members

If you can hunt in a state park, you should be able to rally in it.

For the most part people are very polite. Since the track is usually on public property we cannot stop people from walking onto it, only let them know there's a race going on. 95% of the time they say OH and walk away. The rest of the park can be used, just not the particular dirt trail during that 30 minute stage.

Even a deaf person could hear a rally car coming from a mile away in the canyons. They are LOUD!

• Members

If you can hunt in a state park, you should be able to rally in it.

For the most part people are very polite. Since the track is usually on public property we cannot stop people from walking onto it, only let them know there's a race going on. 95% of the time they say OH and walk away. The rest of the park can be used, just not the particular dirt trail during that 30 minute stage.

Even a deaf person could hear a rally car coming from a mile away in the canyons. They are LOUD!

A state park should be good. I agree liability shouldn't be a huge concern if you do a really good job of making anybody who might come close that there is a race going on, and that it's too bad that liability is such a huge issue.

• Members

A state park should be good. I agree liability shouldn't be a huge concern if you do a really good job of making anybody who might come close that there is a race going on, and that it's too bad that liability is such a huge issue.

But its not only racing. Even in the 5 years I've worked in restaurants, so much has changed. I was serious about the coffee thing. And if you say anything the least bit non-PC its a lawsuit.

I happen to work at a place that faces suits often. ;)

• Members

Ahhh...I know many of thouse group B cars from Gran Turismo.
:D

Not quite classy. Or sane. The technique for driving them is totally different than even a 400hp rally car.

WRC tops out at about 300hp but they are really torquey because of the small restrictor plate they run. I forgot the size, but its rediculously small.

• Members

Your internet slander case

I keep seeing a lot of people mention "slander" in this situation:

-- slander: the action or crime of making a false spoken statement damaging to a person's reputation

-- libel: a published false statement that is damaging to a person's reputation; a written defamation.

• Members
Also, I hope to have the time to return posting about music again! This forum (and HC) deserve better than reading about this {censored}.

Then stop. The only one I see here damaging someone's reputation is yourself.

Archived