1973 Martin D-18-S

Sprucely

• Members

This one is no longer in pristine condition so it will probably be more suited for for a player not a collector. Extensive finish cracking and a repaired crack in the rib are the cosmetic problems. The crack was repaired by Gryphon Stringed Instruments some 5 or 6 years ago and is sound, though not pretty. The cracking in the finish was my fault for leaving the cased guitar in a cold environment over night many years ago.

The positives are that I just had a bunch of work done on it and it plays beautifully. Last summer I took it to the shop to have the saddle reglued and ending up spending over $850. The work included a neck reset, a complete refret, and installation of a new bridge and saddle to correct slight intonation problems. Because of the neck reset there is a slight angle change on the fingerboard past the 12th fret so the action is higher past the 12th fret.

The tone is loud and rich with a deep bass and sparkly trebles. It definitely has that resonant, woody tone. When I used to take it to jams long ago, the pickers all wanted to play it because of the depth and richness of the tone. These wider neck, slotted headstock guitars are great for fingerpicking, flatpicking, or strumming. The mahogany back is beautiful! Maybe someone can restore the finish?

Some specs:

Neck has 12 frets to the body

Nut is 1 7/8 "

Maximum width is 15 1/2 "

Max depth is 4 3/4 "

Price is $1250 plus shipping. I will split PayPal fees. The guitar comes with a hard case (not an original Martin case).

I will work on getting some pictures up somewhere. Thanks for any comments or PMs regarding the guitar. I have owned it for 25 years and would like to hear your thoughts on the guitar. Oh, I am selling the guitar both to help fund a custom violin bow and because I can't fit it in the closet with them 35 fiddles...violin and mandolin have become my main instruments.

IMG_0001.jpg' alt='>'>

IMG_0013.jpg' alt='>'>

Repaired CrackIMG_0010.jpg' alt='>'>

IMG_0007.jpg' alt='>'>

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I've got a couple of questions about the guitar...the finish looks heavily crazed, and you've mentioned this in your description. Are you certain that the finish is not oversprayed? Also can you send me the serial number? I may be interested in this guitar.

Steve Kovacik

Kovacik Guitars and Fretted Instrument Repair

www.guitar-repair.com

Archived