Vintage hand crafted Yamaha L5A

tincob

• Members

I purchased this thinking that I would put some work into it. I now realize that I'm not going to be the one to do it.

Here are the specs from the Yamaha archives:

Handed crafted from 1978-84

Original MSRP: $710.00 (that's about $1400 in current dollars)

Top: Solid Spruce

Back/Sides: Solid Mahogany

Neck: African Mahogany

Fingerboard: Indian Rosewood

Bridge: Indian Rosewood

Body Depth: 125mm

String Length: 651mm

Nut Width: 44mm

This guitar has been well played by the original owner. Incredibly all tags and brochure are still with the guitar in its original Yamaha hardshell case. This L-5A was made in July 7, 1981.

The condition is: heavily worn

- The finish is worn to the wood on the upper right bout.

- There are pick marks in the wood underneath the sound hole.

- Most frets in high E, B, and G string positions are heavily worn and will need a full redress and most likely need to be replaced soon.

However this is a hand crafted, all solid wood guitar, made in Taiwan, in the early days of Yamaha luthiership when they were pushing to make a name for themselves in the guitar world. Looking at the internal bracing, it's obvious that they spent a lot of care in shaping the braces. It also has a very straight neck and a good break angle over the saddle.

The L5A is a very rare guitar, that does not show up very often. Obviously, additional work is needed but if you can do your own work or don't mind investing some money to refret a vintage solid wood model, this is the guitar for you.

I'm asking $370 shipped to CONUS.

I would be please to take additional photos for you. Just let me know via a PM.

Now the pictures:

CIMG9996.jpg

CIMG0498.jpg

CIMG0492.jpg

CIMG0004.jpg

CIMG0506.jpg

CIMG0500.jpg

Archived