Seagull Mini Jumbo vs. Martin DXJ

Guitarboy48

• Members

I played both of these guitars at GC, and liked the feel of both. The seagull has a solid top, while the dxj is all laminate. though it's all laminate, it sounded very good, and it would be able to handle New England weather better (from what i have heard). I love the seagull, but if i can get a good, durable martin for about the same price, is it worth it?

• Members

I love the seagull, but if i can get a good, durable martin for about the same price, is it worth it?

Of course Martin is a Martin, so even with all laminated guitars quality is there, no doubt. But where is a fine line between Martin made guitar and The Martin ? To me personally anything below model 18 is not The Martin. With some serious scratching I would allow series 16, but when they started with laminating guitars, forget it! It's good quality instruments, but it's not any better than any other guitar.

So, personally I would go for Seagull. At least you get a solid top with a remote chances of maturing of the sound after years of use. Then again, the other guitar has this delicious Martin logo on the headstock...

:thu:

Archived