FS/FT 1969-73 Gibson J-50 (Project) w/HSC

Algren

• Members

Hello!

I've got a 1969-1973 Gibson J-50 acoustic for sale. I've had a hard time dating it but I've got it down to this 4 year window.

It is all original (except for the bridge), solid woods, Spruce and Rosewood. It sounds and plays fantastic - very huge sound with extraordinary clarity. It does however have several top cracks, a bridge split (which isn't original anyway) and some very miniscule hairline cracks starting in the back. Neck is straight, tuners and intonation good.

I would estimate the guitar is very savalgable by a good luthier, or someone with some training in such things. And even without being fixed, it still sounds incredible. I'm starting to gig a lot more with my band though and need to trade this for something that will handle travel in the van and climate changes a bit better. In short, this instrument deserves someone who will treat it better than I can.

It comes with an SKB case that's seen better days, but is still totally functional, good latches, etc. In trade I'd seek another, solid wood acoustic, preferbaly with some electronics in it and perhaps a cutaway even. Hard shell case a must. In cash I'd seek around $500.

I'll also consider electric guitars, amps, pedals, and a cash and trade deal. I'm open to lots of things.

Thanks for reading!

Jonathan

DSCF0613-1.jpg

DSCF0615.jpg

DSCF0621.jpg

DSCF0620.jpg

• Members

Absolute final price drops. I'd assume keep it than go any lower.

Are you telling me there's not a luthier on here who could put a 100 dollars into this Gibson and have an extremely fine instrument? I'm shocked by this!

• Members

Algren:

Other than the top, back, bridge, soundhole and headstock, looks like it's in great shape!

Seriously, though, that guitar would need a lot more than $100 work to stabilize.... that's probably why you've gotten no interest at your rock-bottom price...

• Members

Algren:

Other than the top, back, bridge, soundhole and headstock, looks like it's in great shape!

Seriously, though, that guitar would need a lot more than $100 work to stabilize.... that's probably why you've gotten no interest at your rock-bottom price...

That's why I think it would be a great pickup for a luthier - there's 4 total cracks and the bridge to fix. The soundhole is fine, just a bit worn, and the headstock is also fine.

Plus, my price is more of a trade value price. I don't really need the funds, just would like to entertain some offers on some guitars in about this range.

Also, it still plays fine. I know it's hard to believe, I don't blame anyone for being skeptical without having it in their own hands, but it sounds amazing still, plays amazing still, even with the damage. I guess that's why I'm fine keeping it too - I know how good it sounds still - but yeah, I know I would be a skeptical buyer as well and I don't blame anyone for that. A luthier looking for a side project though could get this for a partscaster or some such thing they have lying around and we'd both be happy :-) I'd trade it straight up for a reverb tank no one is using that maybe also needs some work, or things like that. Anyway, I digress... hopefully that helps explain my point of view. Thanks for chiming in though guitar 23!

• Members

Plus, my price is more of a trade value price. I don't really need the funds, just would like to entertain some offers on some guitars in about this range.

Man, I keep looking for this guitar for a few days, it's indeed an interesting project. And you are local to me, I can hypothetically just walk in with cash. The problem is not cracks or bad bridge. The problem is your view on the value of the guitar. Your bottom line is $825 and you have every right to ask these money. But if you go to E-Bay and search closed auctions for Gibson J-50, you'll see that guitars in a lot better condition sell for less every day. Heck, here is an example for $650 just sold, you don't even need to search. And this one had basically no major issues:

http://cgi.ebay.com/GIBSON-J-50-DELUXE-ACCOUSTIC-GUITAR-VINTAGE-1970_W0QQitemZ160321036132QQihZ006QQcategoryZ118979QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

So, again, it's your right to ask any price, but until the price gets in perspective, I personally can not bite. Thanks.

• Members

Nafigator, agreed, I did the same research, as my repair guy would have a pissa with this guitar!

Algren, I've been in a pissy mood all day because of something unrelated, not meaning to piss on your post. Good luck, G

You know what guys (Nafigator and Guitar23), maybe you're right, I appreciate your points and you guys being kind about posting them here. I was frustrated earlier today, but I guess I really just needed to understand why I wasn't getting any snags on this and now I see why. I think it's cool we can have a discussion about it without anyone getting too worked up.

If either of you are interested in the guitar, why don't you make a cash or trade offer and I'll check it against what's online and maybe we can work something out. Honestly, i didn't do too much research before pricing it, and didn't take into consideration how much the market and guitar condition has changed since I bought it.

Once again thanks, I didn't take any of this as anyone being negative, just realistic, and that's cool :thu:

• Members

What guitars/amps/pedals are you interesterested in for trade?

In trade for the J-50, I'd be interested in other acoustics, preferably solid piece construction (non laminates), electric guitars of all sorts although I veer more towards the traditional body shapes (i.e. don't like V's, Explorer's, etc). As far as pedals, I have a lot, but I would kill for a high quality reverb pedal or reverb unit.

Hope this helps!

• Members

I don't have anything to trade and not able to purchase at this time, but I can definitely vouch for the stunning tonal quality of a vintage J-50. At the price being offered, it's well worth chucking a few hundred into fixing it up....

My father in law has both a J-50 of the same vintage as the one offered here, and it sounds/plays fantastic... Newer ones don't even come close.....

• Members

I don't have anything to trade and not able to purchase at this time, but I can definitely vouch for the stunning tonal quality of a vintage J-50. At the price being offered, it's well worth chucking a few hundred into fixing it up....

My father in law has both a J-50 of the same vintage as the one offered here, and it sounds/plays fantastic... Newer ones don't even come close.....

Thanks! You are right sir, they just sound amazing. If any of you have heard Martin Sexton play, before he switched to Godin electric's he played a guitar of this exact year, make, and model. He could do it a lot more justice than I can.

• Members

Check out the tele I was talking about. I have it up for sale here as well.

Another guy on HC has the same exact guitar up for 800. So I put mine at 650. Supposedly only 200 of them exist. So its a pretty rare guitar.

Here is the link to pictures of it. PM me if your interested.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2299231

Archived