Breedlove SC25/E - Striped Macassar Ebony

gelewis

• Members

I scored this new/old stock 2002 SC25/E this past winter and am now forced to sell it. This is a deep-bodied, concert sized guitar that is comfortable to play yet puts out volume and bass comparable to a much larger instrument. This guitar was hand built in the Breedlove shop in Oregon - and the attention to detail shows.

The body is made from striped Macassar ebony, which sounds similar to Brazilian rosewood and is absolutely gorgeous. Tightly grained sitka spruce soundboard with ebony pinless bridge, bone saddle and JLD truss system. Mahogony neck, dovetail joint, ebony fingerboard, striped ebony headstock overlay, gold Grover mini tuners with ebony buttons. Abalone rosette, small, offset abalone dot position markers, abalone logo "B" on headstock. Ivoroid binding on body and neck, herringbone purfling. Gloss finish. Equipped with Fishman Natural 1 UST active pickup with gold endpin jack.

It has a low profile neck (similar in feel to a Taylor) that is perfectly set up - great for fingerstyle (which is what I predominately play), yet doesn't buzz when strummed. It is strung with D'Addario EXP 16 lights. Impressive bass response for such a small bodied instrument - yet the highs ring out clear. Excellent note separation and great sustain. The best way to describe the sound is that it is a mix of equal portions of a Martin D28 and Taylor 714

I would conservatively rate this instrument 9.5 out of 10 - any imperfections you see in the photos are reflections (sorry for the poor photography). There are a few tiny pinpoint marks on the soundboard below the bridge, but they can only be seen upon close inspection in reflected light. No observable fret wear.

Will sell for $1999 plus shipping.

Archived