FS? 1970 Gibson J-50 - Best Offer

jdolan121

• Members

I have a 1970 Gibson J-50 (square shouldered type) that I got to fix up. Unfortunately, I just don't have the time to do it. I'm looking to sell it, but not sure what it's worth. Here's the info on it:

THE GOOD:

Sides, and back are in excellent shape. Some nitro cracking in finish - wood is fine.

Neck is straight as an arrow

THE BAD:

There is a crack in the top that needs glued.

The previous owner had a botched repair job on bridge. It will need a new bridge plate underneath and some pressing to remove belly. It MAY need to have some new spruce spliced in under the bridge if the belly correction doesn't work out right.

Needs a new bridge. The old one was sanded in the back to accommodate the belly and isn't going to sit flat on the new top.

Needs re-fret.

THE UGLY:

Cheap-o chipboard case. Would be OK to ship, but I wouldn't trust it for travel.

I'm going to try to get some photos up here asap in a reply - I'm just getting a "feel" for what it might be worth right now. Thanks.

• Members

you got my attention

I don't know much about giving it a value...but I'd be interested in it I think. I've got a luthier in the family that'd make it real pretty again.

I had a reputable luthier in Mississippi look at it for doing the soundboard work. He gave me an estimate of $450. So what I figured is subtracting $500 off fair market value (using eBay sales) would get at the price I'm looking for. I'm going to get some photos up here later today, you can have your guy look at them. Sound OK?

• Members

Here are some pics. I'm not sure they're great due to size restrictions here. PM me with an email and I can send better ones. Thanks.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]329946[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]329947[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]329948[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]329949[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]329950[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]329946[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]329947[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]329948[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]329949[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]329950[/ATTACH]

Archived