XP-30 Problem

Learning67

• Members

Does anyone else have this problem?

Sometimes, my xp-30 runs flat. sometimes, its more than a half step flat. sometimes, it corrects itself after 10 or 15 minutes. sometimes it does not.

It seems to be related to electric current. When the current seems somewhat funky, this is usually when the problem arises. I assume that it always happens when the current is funky, but sometimes that "funkyness" is more obvious than others.

I need to call Roland (joy of joys) to find what they say. I dont know if this is a problem internal to my roland or a problem best solved by getting voltage regulator. If I need to drop @$400 for a voltage regulator, Ild like to avoid taking it in for repair and paying for bench time only to find out that my problem would be solved by a voltage regulator.

Anyone else have to deal with this issue? I was thinking a Furman AR-1215 may solve my problem.

Thoughts? Opinions?

• Members

Yes!

I thought I was the only one who had this problem! I bought my XP-30 a few years ago, I think about a year or two before they disconued them (maybe it could be an issue with the later models), when it started being off by half a step or so. It would jump back and forth, requiring me to constantly pay attention so I wouldn't open a song in the wrong key.

It hasn't happened in a while so maybe it is a voltage issue? Let me know what they say since it sounds like we've got the same problem.

• Members

Originally posted by Fear My Potato

It hasn't happened in a while so maybe it is a voltage issue?

ya....It has happened and then wont happen for weeks...months even! But I had disasterous gig on wednesday....well, I was on top of the situation so it wasnt so disasterous...but it SUCKED!!!!!!!!

but I just got a KME1 for wedding cermonies and cocktail hours and could stand to be without the XP-30 for a few weeks if I have to do so. The KME1 is way limitied (its perfect for in and out quickly wedding ceremonies and cocktail hours), but it can satifactorily cover the basic sounds I use the most on the XP-30 live.

its good to know Im not alone with issue. I got mine in 2000, does that make it a later model?

• Members

I got my XP-30 around the same time. I may have had that problem once or twice during that time, but not frequently enough to establish any particular pattern in circumstances.

Probably because most of the times there were problems, I hadn't un-transposed from the previous song. On the large scale, my XP-30 has been a real workhorse & very reliable.

• Members

Originally posted by wheresgrant3

I wouldn't say it's been off by a half step... but it has been noticeable at gigs. If it is related to voltage, that makes sense. Both rooms I noticed it in we had problems with power. My Korg and other gear seems fine... unaffected.

it hasnt always been off by a half step. how much its off hasnt been predictable. It has happened in places where I had my s90 at the same time, and the S90 has been unaffected.

it has happened in places where I had my sp76 and the power supply on the sp76 burnt out. Ive been through 4 sp76 power supplies! (kudos to sweetwater for always having those power supplies and always sending them to me quickly when I ordered them) Interestingly, my micropiano has never been affected by electircal issues at all. For some gigs, I would bring xp30 with micropiano module.

crappy NYC/NJ clubs with substandard electrical wiring! Wednesday's hassel was at Arlene's Grocery in Manhattan's East Village, if that means anything to anyone. However Ive played The Bitter End in NYC about 10 times with my xp30 and only had the problem once.

The worst ever was 3 months ago at this club in NJ where my friends were playing and I had my gear in the car. I set up to sit in with the band and the transpose and tuning features on the XP30 wouldn't even respond! a half hour later, their PA wouldnt work the wiring was so bad. and my buddy was kicking himself because he had a power regulator at home and simply opted not to bring it that day.

After that day, I knew I had to do something, but I had a string of wedding ceremonies in places where my s90 was way too much to bring--on ships on the hudson with freaky gang planks where I was kinda freaked about carrying the heavy s90. They weren't straight up, but rather folding steps where if you steped in the wrong spot, the stairs would tilt. I was afraid Ild fall...potentially in the Hudson river! Solo piano playing the wedding march, some beethoven and mozart at a ceremony doesnt really require precise tuning. (I broke the velocity response on my SP76 on Ab below middle c, making it kinda useless for solo piano)

• Members

Not sure if this is related... however I've had times where certain function buttons just stop responding. It's usually a result where I've been playing for a while, switch on a function like "SOLO" and I'm unable to switch it off. I'll sometimes have to turn my XP30 off and then "on" again to reset the function. It doesn't happen all of the time... just sporadically.

Archived