Dr. Z Maz 18 NR head

The Evil Dr. X

• Members

2004 Dr. Z Maz 18 Jr.

This amp looks and sounds GREAT ! Lots of tonal flexibility in this small but powerful package. This amp sounds fantastic at bedroom levels all the way to wide open, and it records like a champion! This is a LOUD 18 watts!! There are many flavors of tone in this amp depending on the preamp, cut and master settings. It has that EL84 sparkle! Fresh JJ EL84 output tubes. Effects loop option is installed. No nicks or bruises anywhere on the amp. This is the Non Reverb model. This amp will be very well padded and double boxed for shipping.

Specifications:

Power Output: 18 Watts

Output Tubes: 2 - EL-84

Preamp Tubes: 3 - 12AX7

Rectifier: 1 - GZ34

Controls: Volume, Treble, Mid, Bass, Cut, Master Volume, Effects Loop

Configuration: Head

Colors: Black.

Dimensions and Weight: Head: 19" W, 9 3/4" H, 9 1/2" D; 22 lbs.

Comments from the Dr. Z website.

After the success of the MAZ-38, and a more than a few requests for the same tone in a smaller package, the Doctor set off to create this little beauty. As a result, the MAZ-18 "Junior" was born. Like most offspring, this "chip off the old block" began to take on a personality of its own. While the overall "sound shape" is similar to the MAZ-38, the "Junior" has a bit more gain.

Don't confuse the "18 Watt" with "weak and flabby"... you'll be amazed by the definition and headroom, all the way down to the low E... plenty of power for a single 12" speaker or 2 10" speakers. You'll use this amp in small clubs and never think about needing to mic it... Got a larger venue? Mic it and play away, because big amp tone and soul is all there. This would also be a great amp for jazz guitarists, whether you're looking to replace a small blackface amp or looking for an amp with enough complexity for fusion.

The end result is an amp that every strat player will love, but it's not only for strats. The "Cut" knob may be the most useful and versitile tone shaping tool on any guitar amp. Throughout its range, it produces a large variety of sounds to satisfy players using all guitars for most every style of music. The "Cut" knob is best used after the EQ is all set; turn it up for extra edge, turn it down for a more vintage sound.

...and one of the Harmony-Central reviews: ( I suggest you read them all)

Features: 10

1999 amp. 24 watt (says 18 on faceplate but Dr. Z says 24 watts when you grill him over the phone)Combo amp w/ 2 X 10" Vintage 16 ohm Celestions wired for 8 ohm.

Controls: Vol, bass, middle, treble, reverb, master, Cut

Covers b/f Fender clean to Marshall crunch and Vox chime. Single Channel, no switching, no effects loop or the such.

Here's what it does have - TONE! All the way across the board - TONE! Controls are straight forward except the CUT. This is probably the most important tone shaper on the amp. It can make any guitar/pickup combo sound good. Bright guitar, dial the cut, dark guitar, dial the cut, bright room / dark room ........

For this category I'll give it an 8. Only because it is not the most versatile amp in the world. But if you want sound coloring, use an effect or stomp box. Speaking of stom-boxes, the amps seems to be ready willing and able to handle all the usual suspects...

Sound Quality: 10

Using it w/ PRS Swamp Ash and Fender Strat. I play rock, blues/rock, funk & soul. This amp fits the bill PERFECTLY. It is relatively quiet when cranked and the amp is alive at all volume levels. Unlike an old Fender that has to be cranked past 5 or 6 to come alive, this thing is vibrant, juicy and ready to scream at any volume level. Keep the volume below 60% and turn up the master for clean, crank the volume and adjust master accordignly for killer over-drive sounds.

Does crunch really well, does the Marshall thing but with fuller bottom! Does the Vox thing (chimey, raucous) without getting too shrill.

I can NOT say enough about this amp. Rarely does a product live up to the hype... or the wait. This amp does and leaves you with a big smile on your face as soon as you plug in and go through the night's set list.

Can't say enough about it!

Reliability: 10

I'll give it an easy 10 here. Haven't had it long but it's built like a tank and uses only the best parts and components. Dr. Z. is a small company but I don't anticipate any problems here.

Customer Support: 10

Only had it for a week but I can tell you that Miek Zaite is a great guy to work with, has only one thing in mind - build the best amp! He will get it to you as fast as he can....and he's really busy!

Overall Rating: 10

I'm a tone hound. Gig regularly (average 8 gigs/mo.) I'm used to good tone, b/f Fenders, Marshalls, custom shop Strats, PRSs.

THIS AMPS IS ABSOLUTELY THE BEST SOUNDING AND PERFORMING AMP I'VE EVER PLAYED THROUGH IN 30 YEARS OF PLAYING!

I've compared to almost all the amps, boutique and otherwise. VHTs, Bogners, Soldansos, Kendricks, Top Hats, Tone Kings, Victoria, Budda etc, etc. I'm not knocking all these amps - they are all great amps, The Dr. Z is better.

It's so responsive to player dynamics that you would swear it is a living thinking entity - It's alive!! It can get good tone at any volume level, it's compact, rugged... what more could you want?!

$1,099.00 plus $25 shipping / insurance.

Contact Joel - mmmaxx1@hotmail.com

Archived