help with Evolver internal sequencer.

program_insect

• Members

Maybe I'm just being dumb but I can't quite figure out how the internal sequencer on the Evolver is working. What exactly do the numbers that I am entering at each step equate to? They don't correspond to the actual valid values for the parameter which I have assigned to the seq track, behavior is not as expected...for example, seq 1 is routed to E2D (amp env decay). But when I put in large values at a particular step (80), the envelope decay is very quick, and it's slow for small values. In other words, it seems to be the opposite of what you would expect for a decay control. Plus, it's the opposite direction from the actual decay knob on the synth (which makes small values into quick decays as expected). So it seems like I don't understand what the number at each sequencer step means. Is it an offset? An absolute value? A multiplier? Is it bipolar or unipolar? And are there any special cases with using note values for oscillator pitch sequences? Hopefully this message can be understood without the use of alien technology.

• Members

The sequencer values vary parameters relative to the offset that is set with the knobs.

The envelope time behaviour is indeed a little confusing, but it is the way you describe it: while higher values in the program matrix lead to longer envelope times, higher values of the step sequencer shorten the envelope times.

If you want to have the opposite effect you can use the mod matrix: Source sequence, destination envelope time with full negative amount.

• Members

Gentlemen, thanks for the replies.

Stefan, that's a good idea to use one of the mod slots to specify the seq amount. I guess my question would be, what is the implicit Amount value that the system uses for the default seq routing? (When I choose "seq 1 dest = E2D", there must be some internal multiplier/amount which is applied...is it a negative number in this case?)

Ahh well, maybe it's better if I don't understand it perfectly...draw inspiration from disorder....

• Members

Originally posted by program_insect

...is it a negative number in this case?

In terms of the envelope times I think the multiplier is simply -1.

In most other cases, the seq values plainly add to the preselected values. I think that there are some exceptions from the straight additions concerning the parameters that have higher solutions, like cutoff for example, that can have values between 0 and 164. In this case there might be an additional multiplicator for the step values.

It would be easy to test that, but I must admit that I'm too lazy to do that. I don't care too much for mathematics in a synth, I prefer to listen ;)

• Members

It would be easy to test that, but I must admit that I'm too lazy to do that. I don't care too much for mathematics in a synth, I prefer to listen

Agreed...but a certain degree of precision in understanding of the workings of the system can be helpful in the creative process, no?

Dave made the envelope modulation work inverted I believe mostly for velocity routing. That way, if you assign velocity to an envelope and make the modulation amount positive, the attack and decay will be sharper as on a real instrument.

I guess this makes sense, even if it does break with convention...but then again, that's how the best stuff comes about I suppose.

Also, I am puzzled by the fact that the seq steps can only be positive values if they are indeed an offset to the base synth param. This means that I'd have to plan ahead and set the synth param lower than the baseline to compensate for the fact that I can't go down in the seq?

• Members

Also, I am puzzled by the fact that the seq steps can only be positive values if they are indeed an offset to the base synth param. This means that I'd have to plan ahead and set the synth param lower than the baseline to compensate for the fact that I can't go down in the seq?

This is true. Set your base pitch to the lowest value you will have in your sequence, or lower if you feel like. Also, not sure if you already know this, but by default the parameters increment in half-semitones for pitch.

• Members

Also, not sure if you already know this, but by default the parameters increment in half-semitones for pitch.

Yes, I was aware of this...when you say "by default", are you referring to the possibility to change the sequencer->pitch amount via a mod slot? Or is there a different way? Thanks!

• Members

Agreed...but a certain degree of precision in understanding of the workings of the system can be helpful in the creative process, no?

Sure. I just wanted to say that this isn't quite my domain and that there are other people who know more about this theme.

Sorry if it sounded unfriendly, my English isn't very good.

Archived