Motion-Sound KP-200S Question(s) [I am playing through a Triton Extreme76]

Palaver

• Members

I have posted about keyboard amplification before, and I want to be reassured that I am making the right choice. Does anyone around here have any experience of playing a Triton Extreme through a Motion Sound KP-200S amplifier?

This amp seems to be the right choice for myself. I REALLY want stereo monitoring, and I love the fact that it has XLR outputs of which I can plug directly into a snake. Would I still need DI boxes connected to the outputs of the KP-200S when running into a house P.A.?

I heard that this fairly compact sucker will give me plenty of head room when jamming with drummers/guitars/bass, and I've read that the range of the amp is fantastic. Sound range is very important because I run drums through the arpeggiators on the board, and I play everything from piano to bass to high lead tones. Will all of these sounds from the Triton be ok through a motion-sound amp?

I have no access to test this amp. I am a Newfoundlander, and I will have to order away for the motion-sound. I can get a fantastic deal, and I really don't want to lug around a P.A. so I can get stereo monitoring. As long as it sounds decent, and got some raw power, I will get this sucker.

Help! Tell me if I am making a bad decision or not. I will be ordering in the amp within the week! It would be fandandy if someone could clear up my DI box question in regards to the amp, along with running drum loops/bass sounds through the amp.

And is anyone else having problems running the search function? It no longer works for me.

Thanks (and hopefully I am making the right choice),

Phil

• Members

I have been using a Motion Sound KP200S for over a year now with my Triton Studio, Roland RD700SX and Nord Electro.

While I like it very much for the stereo image, XLR outs, and general fidelity of the sound, I would hesitate to run a lot of bass and drums sounds through it at high volumes. You're only pushing 2 10" speakers and I think you should consider adding the Motion Sound Sub-woofer or considering another option.

I also own a Bose PAS and while it is expensive it's worth every penny to me. I play my keys through it, left hand bass, and use it also as a small PA on solo, duo, trio gigs. I own 1 tower and 1 sub and this would totally do the job for you. It's so easy to set up and tear down, transport.....check it out.

• Members

I would certainly be getting that sub within the next year. As long as the KP-200S can do an onstage monitoring job, then I am fine. And the outputs are a massive plus.

It just seems like such a great bundle and so convienient. I am a drummer as well, and setups and tear downs are a major hassel. I am certainly looking forward to less of a hassel with the keys.

That BOSE PAS thing looks pretty interesting. I'd like one, but it seems a little pricey for me at this point. I'd rather just get the motion-sound, and eventually the add on sub. I really appreciate the help, and if anyone else has any inputs, then feel free to nail me with them.

Thanks so much,

Phil

• Members

Hi Palaver -- Yup, been playing my proX thru the kp-200s for about a year now with great results, and by all means use the xlr outs to get the overall sound you need -- I too plan to get either the slave or the sub for this unit --You won't be disappointed --Peace :cool:

• Members

I play an S90 through my KP200s and to get the best piano fidelity, I cut the bass EQ on the amp.

If you really wanted to beef up the low end for the leads/basses, you could route those patches to the second channel on the KP200s and EQ that side slightly different.

I'm quite satisfied with the amp and the low end. For patches that need a little more umph down there from my S90, I just EQ on a patch by patch basis. I also keep my 2nd channel bass a little above 0 to boost my LH Electro bass.

I find the low end quite suitable for onstage monitoring and practices at moderate volumes. I will not be purchasing the subwoofer as I get plenty from the house PA when I play out.

Archived