Wakeman and Emerson - Keyboard Heroes?

RockXtreme

• Members

Yes, Keith has told me that story on more than one occasion.

Here he was, at the height of his fame, going to see someone that was a legend to him, and a huge influence. Only to be repeatedly "dissed" by Jimmy during the set - not because Jimmy knew anything about his playing or music, but likely because of some sense of ego, and perhaps racism.

It really hurt Keith, as it would any of us when meeting our heroes.

Regards,

Jerry

Originally posted by suitandtieguy

kind of. i don't know if he said _that_ though i'd believe anything about that asshole.

when keith and his friends walked in and sat down jimmy was finishing a song. then he looked at them and said something to the effect of "i'll play something you white folk like" and bust into some kind of lenny dee ish "Daisy". keith was mortified at this racism and left.

which is i suppose nothing compared to the time that jimmy noticed a pair of Japanese tourists in the front row and started going off about how "them japs have no business in america because their dicks are too small. let me show you what i'm talkin' bout" and then dropped his pants and showed them his cock.

because apparently jimmy smith is awesome. whatever.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

++So back to Mr. Emerson, and Mike's comments about songwriting.

In the world of instrumental composition, Keith has created some very interesting, and progressive (in the good sense) piano pieces over the years. He introduced some very signature harmonic elements, and for me, wrote some very memorable music. Many sections of the first album, certainly the Endless Engima from Trilogy, the second movement of "Brain Salad Surgery", and his piano concerto count for me as good composition.

Instrumental music like this may not be your personal "cup of tea", but to completely diss them based on their not being "words+music" songwriters is missing something IMHO.

Regards,++

I like instrumental music, and I really like the stuff Keith has done. Keith has been fortunate to work with some great talent. I like BSS as well. But I think there is a very real reason why people like Pink Floyd, the Beatles and some alternative rock acts were able to seperate themselves from the pack. They were able to fire on all cylinders. Most acts are a one trick pony, like Steve Vai or a Jordan Rudess.

I guess you can define art however you wish. Some people would define it as technical accuracy , a more paint by numbers approach, or others would define it as an emotional painting that stirs thoughts and images.

Personally, I'll take the Syd Barrett route - the blueprint for alternative music, with a song sense of alternative songcraft.

• Members

Originally posted by Mike51

[b But I think there is a very real reason why people like Pink Floyd, the Beatles and some alternative rock acts were able to seperate themselves from the pack.

The real reason is they possessed a beyond human super talent for song writing. There have been very few song writers in modern history who can match the breadth and depth of Lennon and McCartney.

Granted Emerson may have been limited to one particular style that he never deviated from. But it was a unique style which opened the door for other to follow. There have been many composers who have never ventured beyond their pigeon hole but there contributions to their individual genres should not be underestimated.

• Members

From a 1974 Dr John song, while ELP's BSS came out in 1973.
So Dr John would not be the source.

Originally posted by Marzzz

"I been in the right place

But it must have been the wrong time

I'd of said the right thing

But I must have used the wrong line

I been in the right trip

But I must have used the wrong car

My head was in a bad place

And I'm wondering what it's good for

I been the right place

But it must have been the wrong time