MachineDrum + Andy = Overkill?

Dying Young

• Members

Hey I've got an Andy coming in 4 days. I also have a lead on a MD that I can score for about half of what they sell for new. I'm thinking it's overkill. Same grid step-sequencer in the Andy and I know I'll have no problems coming up with the beats on the Andy. Only thing the MD could bring to the table might be a little polyphony. I think I'll go all Andy and save the $500. Although for that price I should buy it, save it for a year and then eBay it and hope my buddy doesn't ask me where the hell it is if he ever comes over! Hard decision. You Andy owners feel free to represent and let me know how you've done using it for beats.

Music for this project is warped Pet Shop Boys cover songs. (LONG STORY)

JD

• Members

Originally posted by myteeGTi

one is an analog synth, the other is a digital drum machine. How could having them be overkill. They dont even come close to being similiar.
:confused:

Couldn't agree less with you. The ION is digital. Wouldn't want it and an Andy. The beats I need, you see, can be achieved from both the Andy and the MD. So having them both would appear to me to be overkill.

Kind of like having a Wok and a big saute pan. If I'm only gonna be throwing in some chicken it's a bit overkill to have both.

Now that old Yan Can Cook guy might bite my head off, but then again he makes a lot more stuff than me.

This project is limited. It's just chicken.

JD

• Members

Originally posted by NightChildren

If you can score a MD for $500, pick it up.

... and sell it if you dont like it.

A friend of mine has an andromeda, I have a machinedrum and I can tell you they are completely different beasts. Even the approach you take when you use one or the other is completely different.

I wouldnt say its an overkill in terms of sounds or functionality, but maybe it will be an overdose of gear. I think it would be best to buy one or the other and exploit it deeply. If not you wont be able to know what its real possibilities are.

Oh and I agree the md sounds digital, sweet raw dripping digital :D

• Members

Originally posted by Dying Young

Couldn't agree less with you. The ION is digital.

I haven't got a clue what you're getting at with wok metaphors or mentioning the Ion (have you got one?), but GTi is correct, you would be hard pressed to come up with two pieces of gear that have less overlap than a Machinedrum and an Andromeda. You might as well say you don't need both a refrigerator and a stove because they're both just things you put food in. (To extend your food metaphor a bit further...)

• Members

Originally posted by Dying Young

The beats I need, you see, can be achieved from both the Andy and the MD.

What exactly is it that you need?

If you already know the sounds you are after can be achieved in both units then why the hell did you start this thread?

• Members

I'm sure the Andy can make great beats, but sonics aside, the Machinedrum is designed to give you control over your beats not just trigger them. you could also trigger a kit from the Andromeda with the Machinedrum...

I would love to have an Andy and a Machinedrum... if you can get one for half its price it will be well worth it. The Machinedrum sounds are not just analog emulative, but embrace its digital nature... The Userwave is a different story.

It depends what you want to do though. If you are playing live or like to jam in the studio, then having a dedicated drum-machine is great.

Some people may not like the sound of the Machinedrum - and it can be overkill just on its own. I think the blend of digital and analog would have a great sound.

Archived