OASYS microtuning

girevik

• Members

I originally posted this suggestion for OASYS:

Allow a bigger range than -99, +99 cents for user microtunings. The current range unnecessarily forces a limit of 12 notes/octave.

Korg's Dan Philips responded:

Good point. I'll add this as a feature request.

Note, however, that you can use this in combination with Pitch Slope to achieve more pitches per octave - cut pitch slope to 0.25 for Harry Partch-style 48-note-per-octave scales, for instance.

- Dan

Dan Phillips

Product Manager, Korg R&DGood point.

My response here, to avoid further hijacking of that thread:

I believe Dan is referring to a "hack" that some microtonal musicians found to force greater-than-12 notes/octave tunings on a Korg Karma. I don't own a modern Korg synth (yet), but the impression I got was that they had to dig really deep into the Karma's programming pages to find what they needed.

If Dan gets in the feature request to increase the tuning range per note (for a full-keyboard tuning) to the full MIDI range, that would be a huge step in the microtonal capabilities of this instrument. Furthermore, continue to allow full-keyboard tunings to be assigned on a per-program basis, and add MIDI Tuning Standard support, and I will seriously save up my pennies for this beast, pending a visit to the local shop to try one out. I've wanted to try one after reading the review concerning the sound quality and the updated CX3 engine - I really liked the CX3 that was released a few years ago.

Birdienummnumm, any thoughts? ;)

Archived