best synth parts ever - any on softsynths?

nat whilk II

• Members

We all know about the super-famous analog synth parts on tunes like Lucky Man or abacab, etc., but are there any super-famous synth parts on well-known tunes that are documentably done on a softsynth?

C'mon, there's gotta be at least one, but beats me if I know of one....

nat whilk ii

• Members

Interesting question. I'm assuming you mean mainstream pop rock that sells platinum and not smaller stuff aimed at certain demos.....

Unlike records 30 years ago artists dont usually list synth brands. You can go to a website and obtain more information but for example would an artist even admit or distinguish between a DX7 and an FM7 in the credits? Maybe?

I think there are elemenets of production that engineers and producers simply dont want discussed for several reasons. For example I know of a well known mastering engineer with hundreds of thousands of dollars of top gear and huge names to his credit, yet he keeps Waves Mastering close by his side. Would he ever openly admit that? I doubt it.

Look at the Cher "Believe" scam from the SOS interview where the engineer BSed for pages about how the Digitec Talker was used and blah blah blah...until it was revealed he just cranked a hardware Autotune!

So with soft synths, Im guessing for some they dont want to reveal their secrets, unless they are pushed hard by the public.

• Members

That's a thought - the performers don't want to admit they use a softsynth!

But on the other hand, the softsynth companies you would think would do anything they could to get some press and credits from major synth players.

I mean the guitar guys are always crediting D'addario or whoever that they play so and so's super slinky-do titanium alloy strings and whozit's pickups etc etc etc.

I mean if William Orbit finally had another big hit like his classical album or production hit like Ray of Light, and he touted "all synths from Native Instruments on tk 2,3, and 8" etc., wouldn't NI be willing to pay him for that? Wouldn't some number of wannabes run out and buy NI stuff so they could sound like Wm Orbit (hopefully!)?

Seems still that softsynths are the unacknowledged stepchildren of the music industry....

but prove me wrong! I'd like that!

nat whilk ii

• Members

I think you need more time to pass for soft synths to gain the level of prominence that you are looking for. Are they on recordings from 5 years ago? maybe, maybe not that much. Are they on recordings being made right now? most likely yes.

Give it some time.....

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Originally posted by nat whilk II

That's a thought - the performers don't want to admit they use a softsynth!

But on the other hand, the softsynth companies you would think would do anything they could to get some press and credits from major synth players.

I mean the guitar guys are always crediting D'addario or whoever that they play so and so's super slinky-do titanium alloy strings and whozit's pickups etc etc etc.

I mean if William Orbit finally had another big hit like his classical album or production hit like Ray of Light, and he touted "all synths from Native Instruments on tk 2,3, and 8" etc., wouldn't NI be willing to pay him for that? Wouldn't some number of wannabes run out and buy NI stuff so they could sound like Wm Orbit (hopefully!)?

Seems still that softsynths are the unacknowledged stepchildren of the music industry....

but prove me wrong! I'd like that!

nat whilk ii

I dont purchase a lot of new platinum-selling records. I just purchased Howard Jones CD Revolution of the Heart.

In the credits...."vocals piano moog prodigy, keyboard data-Howard"

And then...... "Mac, VIRTUAL INSTRUMENTS, sound design-Robbie"

It seems even Howard doesnt want to credit his soft synths.

Again I think it goes back to a sort of an eletist thing. Admitting you didnt use the real thing and substituted it for 200.00 emulaton software that anyone can easily get ahold of is lame I guess.

Its much more fun to read artist interviews about a complicatecd signal process of essoteric hardware or expensive hard-to-find gear I guess? And of course how many times will the word vintage be used?

It will be a grand day when Pink Floyd credits a soft synth in their liner notes.

• Members

Originally posted by nat whilk II

We all know about the super-famous analog synth parts on tunes like Lucky Man or abacab, etc., but are there any super-famous synth parts on well-known tunes that are documentably done on a softsynth?

I don't remember any well-known tune that features a computer (I was thinking about the "2001, A Space Odyssey" sound track that features computer renderings by Max Matthews). Maybe lots of easy-listening music is quickly done on Reason and GarageBand ?

Archived